The Legal Assistant position is located within in the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Office of General Counsel (OGC) Court of Appeals Litigation Group (CALG). The mission of OGC is to provide legal advice and services to the Secretary of VA (SECVA) and all organizational components of VA. The General Counsel is, by statute, the Department's Chief Legal Officer.
We are looking for a Legal Assistant to join our team and provide administrative support to our appellate litigation attorneys. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing legal documents, conducting research, managing client files, and providing other general administrative support. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of legal terminology and procedures.
- Performs a variety of case and program management tasks with minimal oversight and direction.
- Assists attorneys in preparing responses to inquiries, requests for legal opinions and legal reviews.
- Drafts and edits non-legal correspondence related to case processing and litigation such as requests for billing information, VA claims information, and transmittal correspondence.
+++Veterans, MIlitary Spouses, Current/Former Federal employees, and/or Schedule A disability recipients are eligible to apply+++
- Drafting legal documents such as pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Conducting legal research and analysis.
- Assisting attorneys in preparing for court proceedings and trials.
- Organizing and maintaining case files.
- Preparing and filing legal documents with the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and other federal agencies.
- Providing administrative support to appellate litigation attorneys.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $47,789.00 - $69,035.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Washington, DC 20420: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person