Work involves developing, managing, and directing a purchasing program for a growing manufacturing and service company. Purchaser acts as a critical player in achieving company goals by controlling costs, managing quality, and providing leadership.
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Director of Finance. Work is performed with considerable independent action through conferences, reports and internal controls. Purchasing manager may also supervise and evaluate purchasing department staff.
1. Manage and direct purchasing programs and activities including those of Purchasing Department staff.
2. Establishes purchasing policies and ensure compliance.
3. Negotiates with vendors for goods and services, negotiating the best possible price and service guarantee.
4. Develops new supply sources where vendors are inadequate
5. Negotiates blanket purchase orders when appropriate and monitors cost while ensuring investment budget rules are being followed.
6. Manage vendor relationships to achieve maximum value for Safe Foods
7.Traces delinquent arrivals from purchase orders.
8. Coordinates/performs on-site inspections of vendors as needed.
9. Checks requisitions for appropriate approval and account numbers.
10. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of known variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram formats.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Intermediate: 10-Key, Presentation/PowerPoint
Basic: Accounting, Contact Management, Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing
Considerable responsibility regarding general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work; may also occasionally assist in the planning of work assignments performed by others within a limited area of operation.
Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance, either of which would affect the work operations of large organizational component and the organization's clientele.
Knowledge of a specialized field (however acquired), such as basic accounting, finance, etc. Equivalent of four years in high school plus 3 years related experience and/or training, and 2 years related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's degree from a four-year university in a business-related field.
At least 5 years' experience negotiating deals on chemical equipment
Knowledge of a manufacturing or chemical blending environment