Transport National is anelite fleet that hauls specialized trailers ofoversizedandoverdimensionalfreight. We are looking for a Pilot/Escort Driver to join our family-oriented team. Class A CDL is required.We get drivers home by design, never running more than 10 days without management approval.Call414-856-1911 for more details.
The Escort or Pilot Car Driver is responsible to lead from origin to destination for heavy haul, overdimensional cargo and serves as a warning to others on the road that an oversized load is coming through. The Pilot Car Driver escorts an oversized load and protects the motoring public and protects the load while helping the driver to avoid all of the obstacles that occur when hauling a large or heavy load. The Escort assists the driver, negotiating tight corners and moving around signage, avoid low-hanging trees, ensure clearance of low overpasses and low lying power lines.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Warn other drivers and the motoring public that the oversized load is on the road
- Block lanes when necessary and appropriate. Some state laws do not allow for this.
- Signal the OD Driver when he/she can safely change lanes.
- Let the OD Driver know whether it is safe to driver onto a narrow bridge.
- Evaluate whether an OD load can safely enter a tunnel or start moving around a curve.
- Let the OD Driver know if there is an obstruction in the road ahead.
- Follow the policies and procedures of the organization paying particular attention to safety.
- Must be able to operate a forklift and become forklift certified.
- Available to work in yard loading trailers as needed.
- Must have professional appearance and adhere to the dress code policy.
- Must adhere to safety policies and procedures; be an advocate for safety.
- Work with OD Driver to ensure cargo is secure and the load arrives without incident/claims.
- Assist OD Driver in trailer setup and breakdown and loading/securing the load.
- May be required to be “on call” as needed.
- Drive with the ability to be over the road up to 2 weeks at a time.
Qualifications and Skills
- Class A CDL is required.
- Must have good MVR. Basic math and measuring, reading and writing skills; map reading skills.
- Safety awareness; following rules and regulation.
- Have flexibility in work schedules.
- Knowledge of equipment.
- High school or equivalent.
- Ability to work with hand tools (load securement).
- Certified in the lower 48 states or be willing to certify; must have passport card for Canada and TWIC card, or be able to obtain.
- Team player; ability to take instruction well.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in the English language (road signs, maps, driver instructions).
- Climbing including ladders; in/out of a tractor.
- Walking, using steps, standing, bending, twisting, pulling, and reaching.
- Must be able to lift up to 100lbs unassisted as needed.
- Ability to climb on trailers, loads and back of truck for load securement, tarping and measuring.
- Will be exposed to weather conditions, including extreme conditions.
- Good spatial orientation, depth perception and reaction time.
- Weekly salary based on experience; additional bonus and commissions available as experience grows
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, Wellness programs for premium discounts
- Weekly payroll, direct deposit - work this week, get paid next week
- Recruiting bonus available
- Company paid life insurance
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year