The Housing Services Specialist, an integral member of the Social Services Team at Thorpe Family Residence, a TIER II program based in the Bronx, works with all adult clients in the Emergency Family Shelter program in their search for permanent housing.
The Housing Services Specialist is responsible for supporting the permanent housing search of families residing at Thorpe Residence by coordinating all housing search activities leading to successful placement of families in permanent housing.
Housing and family assessment case management skills needed include:
- Knowledge of all City, State and Federal housing assistance programs.
- Maintain detailed information database of the NYC housing market.
- Ability to work closely with the Emergency Family Shelter Services Team (Case Manager, Case Aide, Residential Coordinator, Program Director and Director of Social Services) to assess the housing needs of each resident family.
- Develop a case plan with realistic objectives and action steps towards the goal of permanent housing.
- Meet weekly with all adult residents to monitor and evaluate housing search activities.
- Fully document all services in CARES and Foothold AWARDS programs.
- Coordinate housing search with all involved agencies including HPD, NYCHA, Section 8, Low Income and assist with housing applications.
- Maintain working relationship with network of landlords and realtors.
- Arrange apartment viewings and interviews with landlords, escort clients to apartment viewings as needed.
Responsible for Shelter Unit Care:
- Arrange, along with the Program Director, weekly inspections of each transitional housing unit for cleanliness & maintenance.
- Coordinate Move-In/Move-Out inspections.
- Teach participants housekeeping skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus minimum 3 years experience working with homeless families in Tier II settings.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Computer proficiency with case management system experience. Knowledge of CARES and Google Drive.
- Must work 1 Saturday/month on a modified shift.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to build strong collaborative relationships with staff, landlords and partner agencies.
Position Reports to the Program Director
Nazareth Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Housing Services: 2 years (Required)
- English/Spanish (Required)