The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) oversees and supports the procurement activities of City agencies, with a goal to ensure fairness, transparency, efficiency and cost effectiveness. The Director is the City Chief Procurement Officer. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS partners with industry groups to implement policies and tools that streamline and modernize procurement, resulting in the delivery of quality services to New Yorkers. Team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued.
The Technical Senior Business Analyst will report to the Assistant Director for Technology Innovation & Solutions in the Technology Strategy division, Office of the CTO. The successful candidate will focus on ensuring that business processes and supporting systems continue to meet business project stakeholder needs. The Technical Senior Business Analyst is a key liaison between the technical IT staff and the line-of-business staff and assist the management team in supervising staff members across the Technology Innovation & Solution unit, such as the Design and Quality Assurance teams Hence, this position requires an experienced, detailed-oriented, hands-on senior analyst who will help supervise the completion of key tasks and resources, develop key process models, compose documentation and flowcharts, use data-driven decision making, apply design thinking, and develop test cases, working with subject matter experts and analysts from a variety of backgrounds.
The ideal candidate will not only excel in their duties but design with the end user in mind by working closely with stakeholders, key decision makers and staff to leverage best practices, especially in business analysis, process mapping quality assurance; by applying human/user-centered design principles; and by promoting innovative methods and new technological approaches wherever possible. The ideal candidate, moreover, is a senior member of the Technology Innovation & Solutions unit and supervises various aspects of analysis, design and quality assurance activities across the project.
Responsibilities will include:
Business analysis and design
- Assist management in providing leadership of key analysis and design tasks across the software development lifecycle;
- Supervise analysts, consultants and other staff members under the direction of senior management;
- Document and effectively communicate design ideas to business owners, stakeholders, and vendor teams using flow-charts, prototypes, wireframes, storyboards and presentations as needed and gain alignment across project teams;
- Elicit, document and validate requirements from the City’s key stakeholders, and translate those requirements into solution designs;
- Create user stories and conceptualize future states for user experience, new or enhanced services, and business cases;
- Apply and promote user-centered design thinking throughout the business analysis/design process;
- Apply best practices for system implementation and business analysis in a fast-paced, cloud-based procurement platform implementation;
- Design and develop process and business workflows and assimilate to system-based workflows;
- Participate in discovery sessions to observe, document, and validate business processes and capture key insights using a variety of research methods;
- Analyze integration points between functional business flows and the City’s procurement and financial systems, and serve as a liaison between functional and technical integration teams both within MOCS and externally;
- Collaborate alongside business and technical analysts, project managers, consultants, and system integrator teams to collectively design, develop, and test solutions;
- Compile and develop project documentation, deliverables, and templates, including training materials, and standard forms; performing needs analysis; drafting new materials where needed; testing new materials/forms for usability; and publishing and maintaining tools/templates;
- Use insights from data and analytics to validate solutions and to propose business process improvements and/or changes;
- Analyze and document changes in workflow and business rules driven by executive, legislative, and regulatory changes;
- Manage special projects and initiatives as required.
Quality Assurance and Testing
- Supervise quality assurance testing schedules and resources under the direction of senior management;
- Coordinate and manage release management, production support and system/integration testing activities when required;
- Assist the team in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) planning and management;
- Review business and technical design documentation to identify gaps in analysis and critical areas for testing;
- Review vendor test scripts for thoroughness and accuracy;
- Identify viable test strategies to support testing product functionality;
- Develop test cases using system and business requirements design documents;
- Execute a variety of system, integration, regression, end to end and functional test cases;
- Identify, document, and submit software defects/tickets;
- Work with the maintenance and development teams on retesting software defects/issues;
- Triage and perform root cause analysis on a variety of production and application issues.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- Selenium - Webdriver or Selenide experience
- Webservices (REST API) SOA experience
- Exposure to JQuery, Backbone, HTML5, ES6
- Excellent writing, technical and interpersonal skills
- Experience with supervising or managing analysts or small teams
- IT project management experience
- Well versed with Waterfall or Agile Methodology
- Ability to interact with all levels of management and public
- Attention to detail
- Strong experience with MS Office (Excel, Visio, Word, etc.)
- At least 5-7 years of experience as a business analyst, QA/testing analyst or a senior analyst/project manager in a similar capacity
- Intermediate SQL skills (select, insert, update, joins, data types, subqueries/nested queries, etc.) and querying complex datasets with SQL
- Experience using SQL Developer, SQL Plus and FTP clients
- Experience with JIRA
- System, Integration, Regression & End to End testing experience
- Familiarity with SharePoint, HP Quality Center, Remedy and LDAP is a plus
- Exposure to Ivalua software, or an Ivalua software certification
- Previous experience with CGI Advantage, FMS/3, PIP
- Certifications in BABOK, PMP, CSQA, Lean Six Sigma
- Experience in projects related to sourcing/procurement
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer.
Special accommodations provided for applicants with disabilities.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply.
STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAM
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on the PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 416706.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 416706.
Applicants may apply for jobs via NYCAPS with Apple products if they use the appropriate browser, such as Firefox, Chrome and/or Safari.
No phone calls, faxes, or personal inquiries permitted.
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
22 Reade St. New York, NY 10007
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.