For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking a Scientific Director Laboratory Sciences for our Safety Assessment site located in Shrewsbury, MA.
The following are responsibilities related to the Scientific Director Laboratory Sciences: Act as primary contact for the department with respect to new contracts, providing project outlines and contributing to pricing, in collaboration with Client Services/Account Management, specifically for the Laboratory Sciences and Bioanalysis functional areas. Responsible for coordinating the feasibility applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to client projects. Supervise scientific staff in the department and provide guidance with the planning and execution of scientific research and/or critical development strategies. Assign work to scientific staff and oversee the work flow, resourcing, and prioritization within the department. Plan and execute laboratory research. Provide scientific and innovative thinking with advanced level of technical skill and insight. Keep abreast and actively participate a broad knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories both within and outside the organization. This scientific leader will also be an integral part of global Charles River Laboratory Sciences.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Scientific Director Laboratory Sciences position:
- Education: PhD or international equivalent in a science related field required.
- Experience: 10 or more years' experience in the contract research or pharmaceutical industry conducting scientific research. Experience in a non-GLP (discovery) environment required. Management experience required. Experience with financial business planning and project management experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Excellent verbal- and written communication skills. Demonstrated independent analytical and problem-solving abilities. Demonstrated proficiency in managing and organizing a laboratory area and function. Demonstrated knowledge and full understanding of GLP regulatory requirements and industry standards.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.