UW Medicine includes Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center - Montlake, UW Medical Center - Northwest, Valley Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest. UW Medicine - Northwest is a full-service, non-profit community hospital, offering comprehensive medical, surgical and therapeutic services. With 281 beds, more than 1900 employees and a world-class medical staff, we provide innovative, technologically advanced care on a patient-friendly, easy-access campus just north of Seattle. We're proud of the acclaim we've received for our excellence in patient care and safety. Among the local, regional and national recognition we've received are: The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award; The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award; The Stroke Care Excellence Award; Winner of the HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety for the last three years in a row, we’re also one of the safest places to get care – among the top 5% in the country.
UW Medical Center - Northwest has an outstanding opportunity for a DAY SHIFT, FULL TIME, PHARMACY HEALTH SERVICES MANAGER. The Pharmacy Health Services Manager is responsible for drug distribution operations and for assisting the Director in managing the programs and staff of the Pharmacy Department. Functions as a working leader in providing direct supervision for the Pharmacy. The manager collaborates with nursing, medical staff, and other health-care professionals to ensure safe and efficient medication use systems.
Building Relationships, includes:
- Effectively delegates,
- Manages change,
- Sets expectations and goals,
- Makes decisions and solves problems,
- Models fairness and respect.
Standards & Accountability, includes:
- Fosters teamwork and collaboration to accomplish organization’s goals,
- Inspires trust,
- Deals effectively with conflict.
Planning & Decision Making, includes:
- Identifies quality benchmarks, assesses departmental performance and designs improvement plans,
- Models accountability, integrity, ethics, and honesty,
- Promotes safety and security,
- Assures compliance with regulations and rules,
- Promotes excellent customer service.
- Develops goals and objectives in support of Hospital’s mission,
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures,
- Resolves complex problems,
- Develops budget and monitors/controls expenses to fit budget expectations,
- Improves department cost efficiency and productivity.
Developing and Retaining Talent, includes:
- Facilitates open communications and joint decision making with staff,
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, verbal, writing, listening, and presentation skills.
Professional Growth & Development, includes:
- Interviews and selects staff, hires, and promotes,
- Evaluates staff performance and competency;
- Coaches/disciplines/discharges to improve individual and departmental performance,
- Motivates and develops competent staff,
- Facilitates continuous learning and development,
- Monitors staff retention and satisfaction,
- Designs succession plans.
- Strives to expand own knowledge and skills,
- Monitors trends in healthcare industry, and adapts to changes and new developments
Clinical / Operations Coordination, includes a variety of activities, including but not limited to the following. Duties may be shared between members of the Pharmacy management team, and each is expected to assist and support the others and cover for absences.
- Operations Management: Oversees the operational management of medication and IV preparation and distribution. Assists in the planning, developing, organizing, operating, and evaluating pharmacy services. Assists in maintaining appropriate information systems for the pharmacy. Assures pharmacy staff development, new employee orientation, and ongoing training in coordination with other pharmacy management team.
- Coordinates with the IT Coordinator about operational activities related to informatics and order entry systems including billing. Provides management reports as required. Assures that patient charges and credits are processed on a timely basis. Assists with the annual budget preparation and ongoing cost containment initiatives for medication use and operations. Establishes and implements operations goals and objectives.
- Quality Improvement Programs: Develops and oversees Quality Initiatives (e.g. CMS / Joint Commission measures, Leapfrog initiatives). Directs quality assurance and improvement programs as assigned.
- Drug Purchasing and Distribution: Oversees the purchasing of pharmaceutical and IV supplies. Coordinates with the Pharmacy Technician Lead, Purchasing Technician, and other staffs regarding activities related to drug use, control, inventory and billing. Assures proper control of controlled substances and maintain proper records and inventories.
- Committee Participation and Formulary Review: Serves as a member of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Medication Safety and attends other committees as appropriate. Assists in formulary reviews and makes recommendations for additions and deletions to the P&T Committee.
- Policies and Procedures: Develops written policies and procedures related to assigned area of responsibility. Assures that policies and procedures are updated and followed in coordination with the management team members.
Assures compliance with all pharmacy laws and other regulatory agencies including TJC standards, National Patient Safety Goals, USP 797. Participates in quality assurance and improvement programs.
- Staffing Oversight: Assists in the recruitment, interviewing, and evaluation of Pharmacy staffs (e.g. pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and interns). Ensures appropriate staffing in the inpatient pharmacy. Assists in devising the Pharmacy schedule. Reviews personnel performance and assists with the development and retention of competent personnel with the Pharmacy Management team.
- Collaboration: Serves as a consultant to physicians and staff. Serves as liaison between clinical pharmacy services and other clinical services.
- Pharmacy Coverage and Teaching: Performs functions of clinical pharmacist, if needed for coverage and to maintain skills (current expectation is about 25% of time). Participates in hospital teaching programs.
Coordinates the experience of School of Pharmacy students in the pharmacy. Provides lectures for the School of Pharmacy in its undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs.
- Assumes other responsibilities in the management of the Pharmacy Department as delegated by the Director of Pharmacy. Performs other duties as required.
- Graduate of an ACPE-accredited College of Pharmacy with a Pharm D degree and/or the combination of a Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy plus extensive experience demonstrating a high level of clinical competency.
- Health System Pharmacy Administration Residency or other formal healthcare/pharmacy administration training (e.g. MBA, MHA, MS, MPH) required.
- Current license (or license-eligible) as a registered pharmacist in the State of Washington.
- Requires a minimum of 4-6 years clinical pharmacy experience, including at least 1 year supervisory, lead, or managerial experience.
UW Medicine-Northwest is committed to being a drug-free workplace. We require a pre-employment drug screen. The use of marijuana for medical purposes accompanied by a prescription, even if permitted by state law, will not be considered acceptable for purposes of explaining a positive lab test result for marijuana.
This position provides opportunities to work in a fast-paced, challenging, diverse and rewarding environment. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.