Because you get to live, work, and play in beautiful Jackson Hole!
Choosing St. John’s is a career move with unparalleled quality of life. Jackson Hole boasts world-class skiing, arts, dining, and events. Our campus abuts the National Elk Refuge and the Grand Teton looms overhead. Living here means you can take a walk and see bighorn sheep on your lunch break and spend your weekend recreating in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Working here means being a part of a community that values service, innovation, and wellness.
Provides leadership for planning, management, implementation and coordination of Laboratory Services. Responsible for financial management of the Laboratory. Oversees quality control, safety and quality of services. Makes recommendations for new services, capital equipment purchases and overall direction of the department. Ensures that duties are performed according to the Scope of Services for the department. Adheres to the practices of the St. John's Medical Center Corporate Compliance Program, the Mission, Vision and Values Statement and participates in Performance Improvement activities. Fosters a culture of patient safety on the unit.
1. Responsible for the planning and coordination of the Laboratory department's activities, the operational efficiency and effectiveness as well as coordination with other areas/departments of SJMC.
2. Oversees the proiritization of projects and directs resources to ensure the attainment of organizational goals.
3. Responsible for ensuring the department meets and adheres to all applicable federal, state and CMS regulatory requirements and for ensuring that the department's success in any regulatory survey.
4. Writes and maintains departmental policies, procedures and manuals as necessary.
1. Provides direction to staff and supervisors/managers of the laboratory and related services.
2. Reviews staffing levels and addresses staffing variances with the manager; involved in hiring process.
2. Addresses continuing education needs of the department.
3. Responsible for performance evaluation and disciplinary action of staff members.
4. Educates management staff of the department in training techniques, hiring, evaluation process, clocking, etc.
5. Coordinates the department performance improvement indicators/studies and provides training to staff.
1. Develops resources, budget and revenue to meet or exceed the laboratory budget.
2. Coordinates capital equipment purchases with the CFO/COO. Demonstrates good planning in the replacement needs of aging equipment.
3. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or services delivered.
4. Educates staff on the finances of the department and how to control costs.
5. Expands use of reference lab and services to increase revenue for Laboratory services.
Promotes Effective Communication and Problem Solving
1. Attends appropriate meetings and keeps staff informed on new policies/issues important to the staff.
2. Confers with other department directors or managers when necessary to resolve procedural difficulties, clarifying department responsibilities, objectives and resolving identified problems of the clinical laboratory.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of the event reporting system and reports trends in events to staff in order to improve processes and performance.
1. Completes tasks or projects as assigned by COO/CFO.
2. Participates in appropriate committees, task forces and projects.
2. Support SJMC Vision, Mission and Values.
3. Practice according to SJMC Corporate Compliance Plan.
Required: Bachelor's degree in related field.
Minimum Work Experience
Required: At least 4 years clinical laboratory managerial experience. Excellent customer service skills, communication and computer skills.
Required Licenses: MLS(ASCP)cm
Working Conditions: Hospital setting. Frequent stressful situations, irregular hours, exposure to infectious and caustic agents, small work space. Irregular meals/breaks. Clinical and lab settings. Must be on-site at the SJMC campus or other facilities to fulfill the responsibilities of this role.
Physical Requirements: Majority of time walking and standing, physically active. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Intermittent stretching, bending, reaching, pushing and pulling. Intermittent sitting, computer and desk work.