Recruitment for the 2024 Park Police Academy begins now! The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation is accepting applications now for Park Police Officer Trainees. Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2023.
- Candidates must be at least 20 years of age at time of hire. Cannot be more than 34 years old on June 1, 2024.
- Time spent on military duty or on terminal leave, not exceeding a total of seven (7) years, shall be subtracted from your age if you have passed your 35th birthday.
- Minimum college education requirements: 60 college credit hours by June 1, 2024; 30 of those hours may be waived if candidate is an honorably discharged veteran with at least two years of active military duty.
- Must be a United States citizen and New York State resident at the time of appointment and maintain a New York State residency after appointment.
- Must hold a valid New York State Driver license at time of appointment and maintain it after appointment as a term and condition of employment.
The New York State Park Police are highly trained and dedicated to helping people and protecting the state's natural and historic treasures. If you're interested in a rewarding career in law enforcement, consider becoming a New York State Park Police Officer. Our team works in some of the most beautiful places in the state!
-First 6 months of traineeship - $56,360 (at the residential academy)
-Second 6 months of traineeship - $57,827 - $76,792 (rate will be based on what zone the Park Police Officer Trainee is assigned to for field training after the 6 month residency school)
-After traineeship is complete (1 year) - $65,798 - $84,763 (rate will be based on what zone the Park Police Officer is assigned to)
To see a full Salary Chart for the career of a Park Police Officer, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/park-police/park-police-officers.aspx#Salary
Additional Geographic Pay:
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $1,613 annual downstate adjustment.
In addition to the downstate adjustment, appointees who work in the following locations will receive an additional supplemental local pay in the following amounts: the counties of Orange, Putnam, and Dutchess - $1,343; the five boroughs of New York City, Rockland, and Westchester Counties - $2,017; and Nassau and Suffolk Counties - $2,352.
NEW: Additionally, appointees who work in the mid-Hudson region (Dutchess, Orange, Rockland, and Westchester counties) or downstate region (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond, Nassau, or Suffolk counties) are eligible for an additional $15,000 in geographic pay differential.
- Accrue 13-24 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5 personal days and 13 sick days each year.
- Excellent health, dental and vision insurance coverage
- Salaries do not include overtime.
- Retirement is at half pay after 25 years.
- Promotional opportunities available by competitive examination processes.
- All uniforms and equipment are provided
Learn more about Salary and Benefits, including a salary chart by location, here: https://parks.ny.gov/park-police/park-police-officers.aspx#Salary
After completing a six-month residential police academy located in Rensselaerville, NY, Park Police Office Trainees will be assigned to a Park Police Zone, which may be anywhere in New York State, upon graduation. Then trainees will complete field training at their assigned zone for the remaining 6 months of their probationary period before advancing to Park Police Officer, Grade 14.
To learn more about the next steps in the hiring process, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/park-police/park-police-officers.aspx
If you have any questions, please contact Division Headquarters at (518) 474-4029 or email [email protected].
Location: 679 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10031
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $56,360.00 - $84,763.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person