Recently ranked #5 in Forbes Magazine's list of America's Most Promising Companies, Carvana offers the excitement, culture, and opportunity of a start-up, along with the capitalization and infrastructure of an established business.
We sell cars, but we're not salespeople. At Carvana, we've made it our mission to transform how cars are bought and sold. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way so we committed to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that's $Trillion with a "T").
We provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers. From our searchable showroom of fully-inspected, certified cars, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles' interior and exterior, to real-time financing and warranty packages. With delivery possible to the buyer's driveway in 24 hours or pick-up available from one of our state-of-the-art car vending machines (yes, you read that right) all with a 7-day money back guarantee, customer satisfaction is at the core of our business. With no dealerships or commissioned sales people, we also save thousands of dollars per car that we pass on to our customers.
For more information on Carvana, take a look at our company introduction video. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dpBRp0-_w )
WORKING AT CARVANA YOU WILL NOTICE THAT...:
You'll need to be a great communicator, a brand ambassador, and possess the know how to get the job done.
We expect bright people, willing to roll up their sleeves, take on new assignments, and juggle many things at once.
In return for your hard work, you'll have an opportunity to work at one of the fastest growing and creative technology companies around, as well as help us promote a life-changing product and develop a world-class team every day.
In our down time we have ping pong and corn hole (or "bags," depending on where you're from) tournaments. However, the pace is pretty quick around here, so you'll need to be prepared to keep up.
We also have Wacky Pants Wednesdays…so you'll have to come correct here to compete with our CEO Ernie.
We're looking for a Data Scientist with a passion for tackling big problems. Focusing on inventory forecasting and demand modeling you will be using your analytical toolkit to understand the core economics of the auto market that drive demand for individual units of inventory. From sourcing new data to applying the latest in predictive modeling techniques and methodologies, you will have a direct and significant impact on vehicle pricing and purchasing strategy. You will have the opportunity to work with a top-caliber team of former professors and PhDs, develop insights from a large array of proprietary data sets, and apply cutting edge methods in predictive modeling, experimental design, optimization and statistics. Most importantly, you will have the satisfaction of working side-by-side with our Decision Science, Pricing and Inventory teams and witnessing the direct impact your products have on the business.
- You'll be using your heavy statistical and econometric background to build a state-of-the-art inventory forecasting system
- Aggregate and engineer data from a variety of datasets, automate data collection and processing
- Develop optimization algorithms and guide integration with existing technology
- Communicate analytical findings on your work to the Pricing and Inventory teams as well as executive leadership
- Work with our Data Engineers to ensure your models are implemented correctly and efficiently
- Work with our engineering team to build model deployment platform and forecast UI
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis, with proven experience delivering results on research or analytics projects
- B.S. in a quantitative discipline such as Math, Statistics, Economics, or Econometrics. Graduate degree heavily preferred.
- Fluency in SQL and at least one statistical package such as R, SAS, MATLAB, etc.
- Experience in Bayesian Hierarchical Modeling preferred
- Experience building, deploying and monitoring thousands of forecasts simultaneously preferred
- Strong understanding of econometrics and predictive modeling methods; knowledge of machine learning techniques is a plus
- Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, or .Net) and/or experience with large data platforms (e.g., Hadoop) is a plus
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects to completion without guidance
- Strong communication skills
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN….
- A full-time, salaried position
- Medical (employee medical fully paid by Carvana), Dental, and Vision benefits
- A 401K with company match
- All the perks your heart desires (gym, snacks, iced coffee on tap)
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.