Castilleja School is a non-sectarian independent college preparatory school for young women located in the San Francisco Bay Area near Stanford University and in the heart of Silicon Valley. Founded in 1907 by Stanford graduate Mary Ishbel Lockey, the school has an enrollment of 438 girls and young women in grades six through twelve, and has a long-standing reputation for the excellence of its academic program. Castilleja educates young women by fostering their intellectual, physical, creative, and emotional growth through an exemplary college preparatory experience within a diverse and supportive community.
As the Director of Human Resources, you can support, develop, and protect the school’s most valuable resource- faculty and staff. Your role provides high level strategic oversight of recruiting, employee relations, benefits, compensation, training and development and safety. This full-time, year-round position will report directly to the Associate Head of School.
The Director of HR will:
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employment relationship and promote a high level of employee morale
- Administer the school’s personnel policies, procedures, and practices in accordance with federal, state and local requirements
- Provide counsel to employees, managers, and administrative team on employment laws and internal procedures
- Coordinate employee recruitment and oversee recruitment lifecycle
- Determine recommend, and manage all benefits programs including broker and carrier selection, employee communication, problem solving, and claims resolution (Health, Dental, Section 125, 403(b) Retirement Plan, STD, LTD, Life/AD&D and COBRA)
- Investigate and follow through on formal complaints including working closely with legal counsel
- Administer HIPAA requirements, COBRA, Medicare reporting, Flexible Spending, 403(b) and other benefits programs as necessary and in compliance with applicable laws
- Promote benefits and encourage employee participation through communication and education
- Manage relationship with benefits broker
- Arrange for training on various HR topics including interviewing skills, performance reviews, harassment and employee coaching
- Monitor unemployment claims and appeal when necessary
- Identify and recommend human resources strategies to leadership team
- Recommend updates to the employee handbook yearly
- Manage annual open enrollment for Health, Dental and Section 125 Plans.
- Manage the HR/Benefits webpage of the employee portal
- Oversee job descriptions and staff performance evaluations
- Ensure all benefit plans comply with applicable laws and statutes (HIPAA, ERISA, OSHA, and IRS guidelines)
- Research and implement new supplemental benefit programs as needed
- Assist in health and dental benefit budget and negotiate contracts on an annual basis with Associate Head of School.
- Oversee preparation and distribution of Summary Plan Descriptions as needed for plan changes and legal compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of progressive experience in human resources
- Professional certification in Human Resources strongly desired. California certification preferred (SPHR-CA or PHR-CA)
- Proficiency with MS Office, Gmail, and payroll and recruiting software
- Consultative skills and experience with organizational change management desired
- Knowledge of principles and practices of personnel administration and labor law
- Ability to work with highly confidential information
- Ability to accurately interpret procedures and regulations along with the ability to ensure appropriate implementation
- Project management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to update recruiting website and familiarity with social media recruiting
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Why Work for Castilleja School: The Director of Human Resources receives a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan with a generous employer match, paid time-off, and complimentary lunch.
If Castilleja is Right for You –We encourage you to apply if sharing your human resources expertise in an educational environment excites you. Castilleja is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. Additional information about Castilleja can be found at www.castilleja.org. Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please provide resume, cover letter and a completed application found at www.castilleja.org/careers.
Job Type: Full-time