Anticipated Hiring Range:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up.
About the Position
Reporting to the Senior Director for University Housing Services, the Assistant Director for Assessment and Planning coordinates the development and implementation of department assessment and evaluation efforts and evidence based planning. This includes the administration of assessment and evaluation instruments, data analysis and conducting research that addresses academic success and housing retention. In addition, the Assistant Director performs department human resources responsibilities including staffing and recruitment, training and compliance, and policy development. The Assistant Director also assists with department strategic planning efforts and is a member of the Housing Leadership Team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, Business, Human Resources, Sociology or a related field
- Three years full time professional experience
- Experience with assessment and evaluation initiatives
- Experience hiring full time professional staff
- Project Management experience
- Experience conducting research
- Experience working in an educational setting
- Master's Degree in Higher Education, Business Administration, Human Resources
Management, Sociology or a related field
- Five years full time professional experience
- Experience coordinating the administration of assessment and/or evaluation initiatives
- Experience utilizing on line survey instruments; Experience coordinating recruitment and
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Experience facilitating staff training and development
- Experience assessing learning outcomes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers,
customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, to
apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to
interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and
deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to identify and determine causes of problems; develop and present recommendations
for improvement of established processes and practices; initiate and implement plans to solve
- Understanding of required technology and staff development.
Complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 22, 2020 through February 5, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes:
criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Engage and Educate:
Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead:
Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive:
Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute:
Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew:
Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.