The Engineer III is an experienced Engineer who manages and designs contracts for a variety of types of process equipment in accordance with customer requirements, established margins and committed schedules.
The position is expected to work on a few (up to 3 - 4) projects in parallel, depending on the status of the projects.
Works with minimal to no supervision
The position will be responsible to perform the following job functions:
Responsibility for design integrity of project
May review other team members projects
Responsible for on-time, on budget, quality of engineering packages for individual projects
May work on standardization, product improvement, and development efforts of product line
May work on research and development projects
Supports technical development of members within the team
Travels to job sites and regional offices as required in support of equipment problems, installations, and sales efforts
Assists operations with manufacturing problems and implementation of low cost sourcing initiatives
May assist in development of design standards/guides, specifications, and design control procedures
Analyse complex design problems requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures
Reviews and approves design drawings
Reviews customer specifications
Participates actively in team environment and contributes to successful completion of team goals
The position requires ability to challenge the status quo of equipment and process solutions, and articulate new technologies and solutions in constructive manner for stakeholders.
Relating to and engaging with various stakeholders at different levels of the organization with potentially differing priorities.
The position requires ability to develop new design methodologies for designing and evaluating new and old concepts.
Innovations and ideas for new and existing products and processes related to offerings in FLSmidth portfolio, by researching and benchmarking industry solutions, disruptive technologies and competitors, and by working with research and technology development partners.
BS or equivalent 4-year Degree in Civil or Mechanical with a structural background or experience is essential
Successful completion of PE Exam (or equivalent) is preferred
5-15 years of experience in the related field
- Experience with the design and development of heavy industrial equipment, ideally mining related
- Experience with the design of components to applicable codes (ASCE 7, UBC, NBCC, API 650, etc.)
- Good working knowledge of standard steel fabrication and other manufacturing process
- Proficient with engineering design tools (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, STAAD, FEA-ANSYS, etc)
- Proficient in engineering fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic understanding of the design requirements of disciplines outside own discipline
- Ability to collaborate with core discipline design teams to achieve a working solution to problems and/or design issues
- Able to lead other engineers, designers and drafters in reaching a common goal
- Proficient in change management and conflict resolution