Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is looking for an employee relations expert to join its Human Resources team as a Senior Consultant, Employee Relations. Reporting to the Director, Employee Relations and working closely with the Employee Relations team, HR Business Partners, and Centers of Expertise, the Senior Consultant position provides a great opportunity to apply critical thinking, problem solving skills, and strong writing ability to manage challenging employee relations matters to successful resolution, including investigations. The position also presents the opportunity to influence and provide decision support to the Association’s leaders on employee performance matters, helping leaders build high performing teams. The Senior Consultant, Employee Relations will be the primary employee relations point of contact for multiple business units in the Chicago office, and the Senior Consultant will work closely with the Association’s Washington, D.C. office as well.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advise and counsel managers and employees on a variety of employee relations issues such as disciplinary actions, EEO related issues, employee/manager relations, and immigration matters, supported by the ability to research and apply employment law and employee relations best practices.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and application and interpretation of Association policies, and HR programs and procedures.
- Keep abreast of new legislation and determines the potential impact on current programs and policies of the Association, and make recommendations for policy changes.
- Implement the Association’s performance improvement process by diagnosing employee competency gaps and engaging with managers on developing strong documentation, having successful employee conversations.
- Confidentially perform complex employee relations investigations, including development of strategic approach, performing effective fact gathering, and drafting strong summary documentation.
- Counsel on employment decisions related to reorganizations and reductions in force.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in human resources or related discipline
- Minimum 5 experience in a human resources position demonstrating:
- a solid understanding and application of employment laws and employee relations best practices;
- the ability to successfully provide strong decision support to managers (including senior leadership) on employee relations matters;
- strong management of conflict resolution;
- clear, concise professional communication and presentation skills;
- strong research and project management skills
- the ability to develop and maintain effective and trusting partnerships with management;
- the ability to manage and resource multiple high-level and time-sensitive priorities;
- strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Minimum 3 years experience in an employee relations, or employment law position, managing complex employee relations matters and interacting with senior management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Outlook, and Internet applications. Experience with HRIS applications
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- SPHR or PHR Certification preferred.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics