New Leaf Community Markets has an exciting Front End Manager opportunity for a skilled Customer Service professional. If you have the ability to lead our team of front end staff and contribute to an amazing workplace, please apply!
Position Description: Leads Front End department and staff, including financial stewardship, customer service, department conditions, merchandising, food safety, work safety, communication, hiring, training and performance management. Ensures the department provides an exceptional customer shopping experience, with the highest level of service and product knowledge. Provides leadership in line with company values and promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Creates a positive and supportive work environment.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside staff. Demonstrates approachability and fosters open communication. Creates an environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute ideas. Demonstrates a pro-active approach in resolving staff issues and conflicts.
- Builds and sustains a high performing team. Responsible for development of team members including interviewing and hiring, training and development and performance management.
- Seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take on increased responsibilities. Demonstrates ability to adapt approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Demonstrates a whole store perspective. May work with store leadership team in providing oversight to overall store operations, including service levels and store conditions. May act as Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Establishes and maintains effective verbal and written communication systems.
- Oversees effective scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget. Ensures adequate staffing conditions, including leadership coverage.
- Ensures department representation at all required committee meetings. Encourages and supports staff participation in other committees.
- Prepares and delivers corrective actions and performance reviews in a timely manner. Follows documentation and compensation guidelines.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic Human Resources concepts; works with resources at store level to increase knowledge.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Balances administrative tasks with presence on floor.
Position Specific Functions
- Manages and provides oversight to all areas of the department. Assesses, prioritizes and delegates tasks and production.
- Establishes service expectations and trains staff to deliver an exceptional customer experience in the front end.
- Ensures consistency of department conditions.
- Ensures department scheduling meets business needs. Works with store management and uses tools and reports to understand and respond to current store trends.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of back stock areas.
- Establishes cash handling, register and return procedures for department and ensures compliance.
- Ensures department is trained and complies with alcohol sales regulations.
- Processes returns per policy and assists cashiers with complex returns.
- Maintains Front End resource guide and ensures cashier accuracy.
- Rings up and bags customer purchases; performs carry-outs.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department and store.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Leaf Community Markets Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Customer Service and Merchandising
- Maintains excellent department conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels. Models friendly and attentive customer service, coaches staff, recognizes accomplishments and identifies areas of opportunity.
- Handles escalated difficult customer service situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer. Trains and coaches staff to do the same.
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of products in the store and general understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions.
- Shares product knowledge with customers and staff. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs. Establishes consistent program for communicating product information and knowledge to staff.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of labor, sales and margin goals and factors that influence them. Meets labor and margin goals. Develops and executes a plan when results do not meet expectations.
- Trains department staff to develop financial knowledge.
- Ensures that department adheres to company invoice, credit, transfers and inventory procedures.
- Coaches department to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Demonstrates creativity in merchandising and utilization of products in order to increase sales and minimize waste.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of store and department equipment. Follows through with service and maintenance needs.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets food safety policies. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and SDSs.
- Ensures staff members are properly trained on department equipment and safety processes.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
- This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, ladder, cart, hand truck, price gun, POS, conveyer belt, vacuum, floor cleaning machine, computer, and office equipment
- Position Requirements
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- 3+ years of retail or grocery management experience required. Experience in a high-volume environment with a staff of 20 or more preferred.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English
- Cash handling experience required.
- Basic to intermediate math and computation skills required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required. Experience with Excel and scheduling software preferred.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor and profit margin.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with continuous standing and occasional walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: lift 1-10 pounds; push/pull 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift 11-20 pounds; twist; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: carry 1-50 pounds; push/pull 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; reach at/above shoulder
- Seldom required to: climb stairs, ladders and step stool
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes working in controlled temperature grocery environment; may work in proximity to store entrances and exits and be exposed to outdoor temperatures; working outside when required.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.00 to $25.00 /hour
- Customer Service: 3 years