Located just 30 miles North of Chicago, Stepan is a major manufacturer of basic and intermediate chemicals. Stepan was founded over 80 years ago and has 19 global manufacturing locations with a support network of over 2,000 employees.
The Senior Research Chemist will be responsible for managing projects to aid in organic growth of our Personal Care technologies across multiple additive platforms along with actively participating in driving the projects forward. The ideal candidate will have working knowledge and experience in Personal Care ingredient development and application. Working knowledge and experience in analysis of surfactant composition, surface science chemistry, organic synthesis and experience in formulation development will be beneficial.
- Independently develop the global technical strategy of complex projects (innovation, exploratory, program work and customer specific etc.) that are aligned with business strategies.
- Responsible for implementing approved project plans independently and through one or more team members.
- Recognized as Stepan technical expert in current and past application areas.
- Represents Stepan as a technical expert in trade associations and conferences.
- Regularly reviews technical information, patents, literature, and global regulations pertinent to fields of expertise.
- Develops and trains direct reports as applicable.
- Takes leadership roles within cross-functional project teams.
- Expected to travel to multiple domestic locations for customer meetings/collaborations/conferences.
- Grow product sales and profit through technical knowledge, customer service skill and insight to customer needs.
- Innovate through technical knowledge, creativity, and vision.
- Builds & expands the technical toolbox.
- Presents technical information to customers to enhance relationships, Stepan image and increase sales.
- Reviews ELN, technical reports, presentation, and other documentation for team to assure quality and value.
- Leads safety/waste programs and steadfastly adheres to safety policies/standards and ensures that staff members also participate.
- Develop and manage project expense spend and capital budgets.
- Independently develop the global tech/regulatory strategy for complex projects.
- Execute strategy including through the direction of one or more team members.
Qualifications: Education, Experience & Physical Requirements :
10 years relevant experience Bachelors required, Masters or Ph.D. preferred.
Experience In Personal Care Products Required
% of Travel (0-100%) : 25%
We celebrate diversity at Stepan and are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
- Innovating new products: 4 years (Required)
- personal care: 4 years (Required)
- formulation: 4 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement