At Tricap, our passion is about Service and Value. We seek to provide exceptional service to our residents and teammates. We produce high-quality apartments at a value that is unmatched in the market. We do this by fostering a culture of leadership and accountability, and our goal is to be the best-in-class multifamily deal execution firm in the country.
Tricap is looking for a Controller to join our corporate team in Chicago. Our corporate office is goal-driven and fast-paced. We operate with the expectation of extreme ownership and accountability. Tricap is growing and we need the right addition to our accounting team to facilitate our aggressive growth goals in the industry to be the top middle-market apartment company in the Midwest. Must be a fit for our Core Values and culture. In addition to primary responsibilities, we are looking for a leader to fine-tune our accounting process and workflow to execute with consistency and accuracy. Within this role, there is a lot of responsibility, opportunity for ownership, and room for advancement.
Tricap Core Values
- Be an honest, humble professional
- Take Ownership
- Exceed Expectations
Reports to Director of Finance
Do you consider yourself to have the following innate job traits?
- A driver, goal-oriented
- Somewhat naturally impatient and enjoy having a variety of responsibilities on your plate
- Consider yourself an expert at your craft; proactive in your area of expertise
- Driven to be accurate, perhaps a degree above your colleagues
- Somewhat risk-averse or conservative in your decision making unless in an area of known expertise
- Your management style by the book, systematic and process-driven
- You are orderly, streamlined, and you keep the pressure on
- You react quickly changing environments and circumstances and can juggle multiple tasks
- You can find yourself getting bored with redundancy and easily look for new challenges and projects
- Communication style is quick, direct and data-oriented; informative and factual
- You are attentive and responsive, and often provide objective analysis
- You consider yourself to be a linear decision-maker
If these traits resonate with you, coupled with industry knowledge and experience, this position is a great match for you.
This position requires a great deal of change and pressure, with shifting priorities, deadlines, and/or goals. To be successful in this role you will need to respond positively to unpredictable situations or problems that can occur throughout your work responsibilities.
This position requires the need for a very high degree of structure and skill. You will need to approach assignments with a strong drive to master and complete all assignments. Strong attention to detail and exactness as well as an inquisitive drive to analyze information and data on your own. You will be pushed in this role to further develop your expertise and knowledge.
o LMA (Lead, Manage, and Hold your team accountable)
o Month End Close
o Intercompany balance sheet accounting
o P&L Reporting Review
o Intercompany Balance Sheet
o Cash Management
o AP/Check Run Approval
o Utility Funding Approval
o Payroll Approval (includes allocations and transfers)
o Lender/Loan Management
o Vendor Management & Compliance
o Budget Administration
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA required
- 5-8 years+ related experience
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Strong systems experience (Yardi, RealPage, or similar)
- Experience and proven track record managing a team of accounting professionals, both internal and outsourced
- Previous experience with Real Estate accounting including, working with multiple entity structures, partnerships, corporate accounting, property accounting, construction/project accounting
- Confident and effective professional communication, both verbally and written
- Medical, Vision, Dental Insurance
- 401(k) Match
- Paid time off, company holidays