Responsible for assisting the Senior Animal Behavior Trainer with all enrichment, including but not limited to: large scale playgroups, following “Dogs Playing for Life” programming, food (frozen broth, food toys, etc.), scent, visual, and auditory enrichment for both cats and dogs under the care of Pet Resource Center. Works closely with other sections' team members to assist pets in need of additional enrichment or behavior assistance and often performs both employee and volunteer training. Assures that PRC provides for the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare, practices Fear Free animal sheltering, and reducing stress and other consequences of long-term confinement in an animal shelter.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Has proven knowledge of best practices in animal welfare and experience with play groups modeled after Dogs Playing for Life programming; has preferably been involved with and/or exposed to large scale play groups.
- Is skilled in reading and interpreting animal behavior, while remaining calm and confident frequently working with fearful, defensive, reactive, unsocialized, and occasionally traumatized animals in a shelter environment.
- Has excellent communication skills and is adept in working with, and training, employees, volunteers, members of the public, and occasionally speaking at educational events.
- Maintains a judgment-free, empathetic understanding of members in the community that may be experiencing challenges in their lives and with their animals.
- Works well with a team, but also is confident and comfortable enough to work independently, including under pressure and changing conditions.
- Has experience with developing, modifying, and/or executing enrichment programs while accommodating flexibility when individuals require certain deviations.
- Is eager to always grow and expand their knowledge and skills, understanding that animal welfare is an ever-changing field.
- Is skilled in typing and documenting notes and reports; preferably has a working knowledge of Chameleon Shelter software.
- Can confidently assess animals' behaviors within the shelter environment, understanding the resources that may or may not be available to work with any identified challenges or possible unsafe behaviors, provides recommendations, and is understanding and supportive when behavioral euthanasia decisions are made.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; AND
- One year of experience directly related to the assigned program; AND
- An equivalent combination of education (not less than possession of a high school diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above. (For education and experience only, does not include legally required Licenses or Certifications.; AND
- Obtain Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) Certification within 12 months of hire.
- Must be able to work in a variety of indoor and outdoor conditions including extreme heat. Must be able to work with and around toxic chemicals which may emit strong odors or require PPE. Must be able to work with potentially dangerous and/or aggressive animals in assessment and/or behavioral modification.
- Must be able to safely control animals up to 100 pounds without assistance. Must be able to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Must be able to bend, push, pull, lift, kneel, squat, crawl and/or reach/stretch.
- Heavy Work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
$41,891 - $54,454
Click HERE to view our Benefits at a glance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 11 paid holidays
- 2 floating holidays
- 18-28 days of PTO earned annually
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- 3 days of bereavement leave
- Health Plans
- Health Savings Account
- Dental & Vision Plans
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Cafeteria Benefit
- Life Insurance
- Short & Long-Term Disability Insurance