THE SHIFT FOR THIS POSITION IS - 12:30PM TO 9:00PM
This position provides opportunities to work in a fast-paced, challenging, diverse and rewarding environment. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report 2018-2019 "America's Best Hospitals", UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UW Medical Center has again earned U.S. News & World Report’s No. 1 hospital ranking in Washington State and in the Seattle metropolitan area. It is the seventh consecutive year that UWMC has achieved both distinctions.
UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
UW Medicine’s Department of Anatomic Pathology has an outstanding opportunity for a 100% Full-Time Program Assistant supporting UW Medical Center operations.
This position is responsible for performing critical tasks related to the
Accessioning area of Pathology. The candidate will work efficiently with the Pathology team by receiving and processing incoming pathology specimens from inside and outside the UW Medicine system. The candidate is expected to perform some coverage for department phone lines; therefore, strong telephone and customer service skills are required. Strict adherence to all procedures in relation to patient care is expected. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Accurately receive, log, track, and route incoming pathology tissue, slides, and blocks.
- Efficiently and accurately accessions internal and external pathology materials for continued clinical care. Triage and resolve issues in documentation in order to accurately process specimens in a timely manner.
- Send and retrieve Pathology and outside institution slides and blocks
through the Pathology Materials Tracking program. Process and return
consult material to originating institutions.
- Develop and maintain records through spreadsheet and database software
- Delivers cases and materials to residents, faculty, and other areas of
the department as scheduled or as needed. Prepare Pathology materials for transport via established courier runs.
- Interacts professionally and communicates appropriately and clearly to
physicians, office management and ancillary office staff.
- Answers the telephone in a professional manner; directs calls as
- Acquire additional material from labs, hospitals and physicians at the
request of faculty, trainees, and laboratories as required for additional
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school graduation or equivalent AND two years of full-time clerical experience OR equivalent education/experience.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.