Position: Somali Linguist
Pay: $100,000 - $105,000/year
Additional Information: This is a one-year renewable contract and you must be a US citizen and able and willing to process for a secret clearance from the government prior to obtaining a role on contract.
United States (US) Africa Command (AFRICOM), mission is to protect and defend the national security interests of the United States by strengthening the defense capabilities of African states and regional organizations and, when directed, conducts military operations, in order to deter and defeat transnational threats and to provide a security environment conducive to good governance and development.
Linguists that join this mission must be willing to live and work in austere environments and be ready to provide linguistic support in support of training local Somali military and police entities. Linguists may need to accompany the unit outside the wire on occasions to conduct operations.
- Support assigned units up to 7 days per week for a minimum of 8 hours per day which can be extended to 12 hours or longer depending on mission requirements.
- Read, write, and speak in clear and concise grammar and pronunciation in Somali and English at a minimum of 3 on the ILR scale.
- Linguists provide linguistic support in support of training local Somali military and police entities.
- Linguists may accompany the unit outside the wire on occasion to conduct operations.
- Have the familiarity and ability to conduct oneself by the local culture and customs.
- Provide accurate, complete, and trusted interpretation and/or translation of data from a variety of Specified Contract Required Language(s) (SCRL) in support of customer’s mission.
- Conducts consecutive, accurate interpretation of on-going conversations and/or activities.
- Ability to serve in a combat zone and previous SOF experience is desirable.
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently during extended periods of high pressure and stress as required by SOF.
- Ability to function as an integral member of a team of highly trained professionals responsible for the safety and security of U.S. forces, U.S. and foreign dignitaries, and facilities/resource
- Must be a US citizen
- Must be willing to process for a government Secret clearance.
Job Types: Contract, Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $105,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekends as needed
- Are you a US citizen?
- You understand this position is located in Somalia?
- You understand that you will be processing for a government secret clearance prior to obtaining a role on contract?
Work Location: Remote