VDOTis looking for a Safety and Security Director to lead agency programs focused on the prevention of injuries and illnesses of VDOTworkers, our partners in the transportation industry and the citizens traveling our roadway network. You will provide oversight for facility and physical security taking measures designed to deny unauthorized access to facilities, equipment and resources and to protect personnel and property from damage or harm.
We are looking to hire someone to who can work with internal and external partners to enhance traveler and worker safety, implement engineering and operational safety solutions and foster an active workforce safety culture who has strong people skills, can communicate with a variety of audiences. Our top candidate will have the ability to work with internal and external partners and influence a safety culture through others. You will lead a team of safety and security expert who will support you in the development and delivery of VDOT’s Safety and Security program. You will work closely with field-based District Safety Managers, Civil Rights and Human Resources staff who administer multiple programs that focus on promoting a safe, secure and healthy workforce.
Other program responsibilities are:
- Manage Safety and Security Programs – Plan, organize, budget, and track completion and effectiveness of activities intended to achieve safety and security objectives.
- Identify the need for and implement controls that will eliminate hazards and work with key agency partners in the development of safety and security objectives
- Security Enforcement – Plan for and direct the protection of agency assets; oversee risk assessments and mitigation measures.
- Hazard Recognition – Identify conditions or actions that may cause inquiry, illness or property damage and mitigation strategies to reduce and eliminate risks. Work closely with internal partners to ensure job safety/hazard analysis documentation is current and personal protective equipment needs are being met.
- Inspections / Audits – Assess safety and health risks associated with equipment, materials, processes, facilities or abilities.
- Regulatory Compliance – Ensure that mandatory safety and health standards are satisfied. Serve as an expert in record keeping requirements related to safety and health information to meet government requirements and provide data for problem solving and decision making.
- Accident and Incident Investigation – establish practices and processes that determine the facts related to an accident or incident based on witness interviews, site inspections and collection of other evidence. Close calls, lessons learned and mitigation strategies are key focus areas.
- Ergonomics – Improve the workplace based on an understanding of human physiological and psychological characteristics, abilities and limitations.
- Hazardous Materials Management – In partnership with VDOT’s Materials and Facilities staff, ensure that dangerous chemicals and other products are procured, stored and disposed of in ways that prevent fires, exposure to or harm from those substances.
- Environmental Protection – partner with VDOT’s Environmental team to control hazards that can lead to undesirable release of harmful materials into the air, water or soil.
- Fire Prevention and Protection – Work with others to reduce fire hazards through planning, detection and mitigation strategies.
- Training – Work closely with VDOT’s Workforce Development staff to ensure VDOTworkers are provided with the knowledge and skills necessary to recognize hazards and perform their jobs safely and effectively. Responsible for educational and awareness campaigns that promote safety through online tools and safety talks.
State applications will only be accepted as submitted online through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, in person or via any other channel will not be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $106,914.00 to $153,688.00 /year