As long as there are people who make the world a better place, we'll keep making a difference for them. Since 1918, it has been TIAA's mission to serve those who serve others. It is this mission and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization.
When you work here at TIAA, you're not just in it for yourself. You are part of something bigger. A collective mission to make a difference - a collective mission we make our own.
To be difference makers.
For more information about TIAA, visit our website.
TIAA Corporate Controller’s group is comprised of the Investment Accounting and Reporting, Global Financial Services and Fund Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Accounting Policy, Metrics and Controls, Finance Operations, and Corporate Tax sub-groups.
The Mortgage Accounting and Reporting team is part of the broader Investment Accounting and Reporting team. This group of professionals provides the accounting for and reporting of the Commercial and Residential Mortgage investment strategies of TIAA and subsidiary entities, which total approximately $30 Billion.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Senior Investment Accountant position is responsible for the effective performance of the various duties and responsibilities described below:
1. Responsible for Statutory and GAAP accounting and financial reporting for
mortgage investments, including investments held directly by TIAA General
2. Provide oversight and execution for the accounting, management reporting
and preparation of stand-alone annual financial statements for PRIME
Residential Mortgage subsidiary.
3. Perform month-end close process, cash reconciliations, journal entries, and
associated account reconciliations. Prepare analytics to support the
reasonableness of monthly activity.
4. Contribute to the preparation of mortgage related statutory schedules and
the footnote disclosures for TIAA statutory and audited financial statements.
5. Perform valuation analysis and impairment recognition of commercial and
residential mortgage portfolio.
6. Responsible for NAIC Risk Based Capital Commercial Mortgage ratings
7. Stay informed of accounting and industry developments. Applies technical
knowledge to ensure workload is completed within the guidelines set by
standard setters and regulators.
8. Perform ad-hoc reporting to fulfill requests from business partners.
9. Collaborate with partners across diverse business lines, including Asset
Management, Risk Management, Valuations, Tax, Legal, Compliance,
Product Management, and Treasury.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- 5+ years of experience in accounting or finance role
- Basic understanding of capital markets, mortgage investments and/or real
- Proficient in Excel and other Data Analysis and reporting tools
- Thorough analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Master’s degree in accounting, or finance, or MBA
- CPA or CPA Eligible
- Relevant financial services experience
- Knowledge of statutory (SSAP) and/or GAAP or the ability to analyze, interpret
and apply relevant guidance
- A track record of superior problem solving and decision making skills.
- Self-directed, self-starter, and motivated with the ability to work with minimal
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
This organization is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer, dedicated to maintaining a work environment free of bias, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. As an EEO employer, this organization expressly prohibits discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of race, creed, ethnicity, color, age, religion, sex, sex stereotype, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions where applicable), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, requesting a reasonable accommodation based on mental or physical disability, medical condition (as defined by applicable law), genetic history and information, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance or regulation (collectively referred to here as “protected characteristics”).
- ©2016 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017