At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
Applicant must be able to read and comprehend routine system information, write legibly, make basic arithmetic calculations and communicate on the telephone, computer, radio and in person in a positive and meaningful manner; must be able to read, interpret, correct and update distribution and street lighting maps in both paper and digital format; knowledge of city streets is essential; must be able to work safely and effectively in demanding stressful situations during emergency conditions; and must be willing to work shift work. All other qualifications such as physical fitness, attendance, safety and performance records will be considered.
Additional consideration will be given for the following job-related training or experience:
1. Operational and working knowledge of overhead and underground electric distribution systems, and electric system outage restoration processes;
2. Prior customer contact and electric troubleshooting experience;
3. Familiarity and/or experience in two-way radio operations in accordance with FCC regulations; and
4. Any other qualifications contributing to the applicant’s ability to do the job.
PRIMARY DUTIES :
Furnishes directives for the safe, efficient and continuous operation of the distribution system through the use of the Outage Management System (OMS), company 800Mhz. radio system, telephone and supporting computer information systems.
Performs duties such as:
1. Receive, analyze, schedule, route, direct and assign emergency and routine work to maintain continuity of electric service to customers; determine capabilities of substations and circuits so as not to overload conductors, distribution transformers, underground risers, breaker current transformers, substation transformers, voltage regulators and line reclosers, including tabulating connected KVA to be transferred, calculating connected amperes, and applying proper load factors for day and night peak loads;
2. Initiates and issues the necessary switching orders and operations to repair and restore electric service continuity on the overhead and underground distribution systems, including customer switchgear and breakers served at distribution voltage levels, and requires knowledge of transformers, voltage regulators, circuit breakers, capacitors, switchgear and reclosers; directs work on underground distribution areas and complexes, the operation of single and three phase underground feeds and pad mounted transformers;
3. Issues follow-up orders to other departments concerned;
4. Reads, interprets, analyzes and corrects distribution and street lighting maps; uses a basic understanding of line fuse coordination while monitoring and reporting incorrect applications and a full understanding of distribution circuit and street lighting operations in order to use the Outage Management System, office maps and descriptive data received from the field to analyze various trouble information to help determine the probable point of trouble where a circuit is faulted or open;
5. Interprets and relays maps and operating record information to assist field personnel and provide shared safety responsibilities;
6. Represents the Company to customers when the telephone call center is closed;
7. Compiles and prepares reports incident to Distribution Operations;
8. Maintains a Distribution Operations log, recording abnormal conditions, outages on the distribution system and their causes; authorizes and records “hold cards” for safety of workers when taking out or putting into service distribution and street lighting circuits or equipment;
9. Receives, relays and records intra-company, inter-company, police and fire department communications;
10. Performs timekeeping and payroll work and processes case jobs and damage claims; and
11. Operates two-way radio in accordance with FCC regulations and IPL Distribution Operations working rules.
In addition to the primary duties listed above, the employee may be called upon to perform other work as circumstances require.
Must know and comply with all Company safety and health policies and procedures applicable to work performance.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
Outdoor work required in various types of weather.
Indianapolis Power & Light Company (IPL), an AES Company, provides retail electric service to more than 480,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Indianapolis, as well as portions of other Central Indiana communities surrounding Marion County. During its long history, IPL has supplied its customers with some of the lowest-cost, most reliable power in the country. IPL is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. E-Verify Notice: IPL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.