Tampa Bay Climate Justice Organizer
Location: Tampa Bay area
Employment Type: Full-time
Florida Rising is an independent political organization bringing together Black and Brown communities to seize power and govern to advance social, economic and racial justice across Florida.
The Climate Justice Organizer will be responsible for implementing Florida Rising grassroots program with people impacted, as well as, partners and allies. The Climate Justice Organizer will be responsible for building and coaching Florida Rising’s base of grassroots climate justice activists. The Climate Justice Organizer reports to the Climate Justice Program Director.
- Collaborate with Florida Rising neighborhood organizers to grow a base of grassroots climate justice activists.
- Design and implement actions and events to mobilize base, allies & partners toward key climate justice policy wins.
- Coordinate a grassroots climate justice training series—identify needs, develop workshops, conduct trainings, secure guest speakers/trainers, & coach others in conducting climate justice trainings.
- Work with Climate Justice Program Director to build relationships with local and state elected officials.
- Develop/maintain effective relationships with partner organizations, allied groups, & community leaders.
- Work with communications staff to develop community outreach materials & build community visibility.
- Implement programming in a manner that increases Florida Rising staff capacity to sharpen strategic analysis, deepen political education, and develop precise skills relevant to organizing and campaigning around issues.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Must have a foundational understanding of climate change impacts on frontline & marginalized communities.
- The ideal candidate is a seasoned organizer with experience running issue campaigns & building coalitions.
- Applicant must share strong commitment to Florida Rising’s mission & be able to draw others into Florida Rising work.
- Strong track record of winning concrete campaign victories, mobilizing large numbers of people into action & building community leadership.
- Self-motivated; ability to take initiative & to manage multiple projects; & ability to work independently.
- Team-player: ability to work collaboratively & as part of a team to advance the mission/goals of the organization.
- Ability to interact with & understand people of various social, cultural, economic, & education backgrounds.
- Ability to moderate virtual meetings using platforms like zoom, google meet
- Organizer with ongoing relationships with frontline & marginalized communities in the Tampa Bay region preferred
- Spanish and or Haitian Creole speaking a plus
- Must be detail-oriented & able to meet deadlines.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health insurance, vacation, and sabbatical for full-time employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42,500.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings
Work Location: One location