San José Public Library (SJPL) is the largest public library system between San Francisco and Los Angeles. A proud recipient of the IMLS National Medal for Museum and Library Service and the Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year Award, the library is an acknowledged leader in providing innovative services to meet changing customer needs. The San José Public Library enriches lives by fostering lifelong learning and by ensuring that every member of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information. With 23 branches, plus the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, we offer tremendous opportunities for learning, discovery and pure enjoyment.
Positions & Duties
Library Clerks facilitate quality service through direct assistance to the customers of the San José Public Library System. This is done through the performance of a variety of clerical activities which includes greeting customers and explaining library materials usage policies and procedures; checking materials in and out; shelving materials; assisting with the use of self check machines; entering data on computer terminals; issuing borrowers’ cards; preparing and processing materials for circulation; processing materials holds; maintaining records and files; accepting fines; operating cash registers; handling routine problems; and assisting with training of and serving as lead person for Library Pages, Library Aides, and volunteers.
We are looking for candidates who are able to provide excellent customer service in an innovative, fast-paced, team environment. As a front-line customer service representative for the library, Library Clerks play a key part in making the library experience a positive one for our customers. SJPL is currently recruiting for multiple Full Time and Part Time vacancies. Part-time positions are benefited and are normally scheduled to work 20 - 24 hours per week. Full Time and Part Time Clerks are typically expected to work some nights and weekends on a rotation basis.
These positions require pushing or pulling carts loaded with materials; packing, unpacking and transporting shipment boxes; reaching, bending and stooping to put materials on low and high shelves; lifting up to 25 pounds and actively moving for several hours at a time.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Completion of high school, G.E.D., or California Proficiency Certificate
One year of full-time experience performing duties similar to Library Page, which would include checking in and out of library materials and performing simple office routines. (1 year=2080 hours work experience)
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Multi-Tasking - can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please indicate how you meet the minimum education and experience requirements for this position:
- High school diploma or equivalent AND at least one (1) year of full-time equivalent experience performing duties similar to Library Page (1 year = 2080 hours work experience)
- None of the above
2. If you indicated equivalent experience working at the Library Page level or higher, please specify the name of the library/libraries, dates of employment and if the experience was full time or part time.
3. Please indicate if you have Please indicate if you have relevant job experience in any of the following (select all that apply):
- checking materials in/out
- answering telephones
- operating cash register
- photocopying and filing
- checking or verifying information
- clerical accounting and/or record-keeping
4. Please indicate if you have relevant job experience in any of the following (select all that apply):
- interacting with the public
- explaining policies/procedures
- referring to correct person/location
- looking for and providing information
- giving directions/instructions
- locating materials for customer
- handling difficult situations and/or taking complaints
5. Describe your experience in being the lead person in a group. Include any experience in training others.
6. Describe your experience in using Sierra or any other integrated library system.
7. Please describe your customer service skills and experience in the following area of interacting with the public, specifically in how you handle difficult situations when dealing with customers.
8. Please indicate if you have relevant computer experience with any of the following (select all that apply):
a. Microsoft Outlook
9. Describe your experience working in a fast-paced environment.
10. Are you bilingual or multi-lingual in any of the following languages?
11. Are you interested in working:
- None of the above
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Aletia Egipciaco at email@example.com
May 25, 2018, 5:06:30 PM
Bargaining Unit 1:
Municipal Employees' Federation
Jun 5, 2018, 6:59:00 AM