1) Development of engineering staff and facilitation of work flow to ensure projects are completed according to schedule and quality expectations.
2) Development and evaluation of tool designs to meet die casting requirements and increase efficiency in tool production.
3) Serve as liaison between customers and G.H. Tool & Mold operations, including assisting in the prioritization of projects, conceptualization of designs, and general manufacturing support.
4) Communicate design issues to Tool Design Manager and Director of Engineering.
1) Minimum 8 years experience in the die cast industry or tool & mold making.
2) Working knowledge of aluminum casting processes, using high pressure die casting.
3) Understanding of basic design principles and tooling fundamentals sufficient to recognize customer needs and assist customers in design problems.
4) Proficiency in modeling/design software packages such as SDRC, Unigraphics, Pro-E, CADKey, and/or AutoCAD.
5) Capable of designing cost effective tooling with minimal supervision for cast dies, trim dies, gages and fixtures.
This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering Services. Tool Designers and Junior Tool Designers report to the Senior Tool Designers for project design as assigned.
NATURE OF POSITION
The Senior Tool Designer works primarily in an office environment, with additional responsibilities on the shop floor. The position requires extensive attention to detail and accuracy. The Senior Tool Designer makes decisions regarding design and approves the work of the Tool Designer and Junior Tool Designer, in accordance with GH Tool methods and the customer's requirements. The Senior Tool Designer is not responsible for personnel management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
1) Generate or oversee development of tool layouts working from part data and customer specifications.
2) Optimize casting designs to minimize in-process scrap and maximize production efficiency.
3) Calculate and design gating and runner systems to produce optimum fill conditions. (Die Cast Tool only)
4) Interact with customers, process team, and shop personnel on tooling and design issues.
5) Calculate the forces acting on the die, as well as the effects of heat on the tool components.
6) Review casting designs for problem areas throughout tooling process and approve finished tool prior to shipment.
7) Budget hours for design projects and manage work flow through design group to ensure engineering drawings are supplied to manufacturing on time.
8) General management of all project tooling design functions including die cast die, trim tool, gages and fixtures as related to a particular project.
9) Interact with other design staff to ensure overall product requirements are satisfied and to act as a mentor to the Tool Designers and Junior Tool Designers assigned to his projects.
10) Consistently produce accurate and neat documentation of work in accordance to GH Tool standards including the QMS.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Health Savings Accounts, 401k, and Profit Sharing incentives. Salary commensurate with experience. All applicants confidential - come talk to us!
Job Type: Full-time