The Manager, Volunteer Services will plan, implement, direct and evaluate Volunteer Services programs and activities for Children's National Medical
Center in accordance with accepted national standards and administrative policies.
Master's Degree (Preferred)
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology, Public Administration or related (Required)
Business Administration, Hospital Administration, Public Administration or other related field (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Progressive related experience (Required)
Supervisory/management experience in related job function. (Required)
Expertise in the area of specialty with required certifications and licenses as applicable.
Strong knowledge of JCAHO and other regulatory agency requirements.
Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Experienced in department budget and personnel communication.
Demonstrates placing a high priority on serving volunteers in a timely and courteous manner.
1. Implement strategic plan through management of day-to-day operations of Volunteer Services Department.
2. Troubleshoot operational issues and develop action plans to resolve.
3. Collaborate with Executive Director on significant operational issues/barriers.
4. Develop, implement and evaluate services, programs, policies and procedures, and performance standards to achieve departmental goals; develop staffing plans/schedules to optimize productivity and ensure quality services
5. Responsible to administer programs within budgetary guidelines; manage department budget(s) to ensure financial stability of the department; track, monitor, and evaluate budget for all line items.
7. Evaluate current as well as new program initiatives for effectiveness, feasibility and cost.
1. Ensure recruitment of volunteers to meet the needs of hospital departments and clinical units.
2. Anticipate trends and plan long and short-term goals for volunteer orientation, training, compliance and recruitment as needed; ensure compliance with all JCAHO standards and CNMC policies.
3. Ensure ongoing monitoring, evaluation and documentation of individual volunteer performance.
4. Work collaboratively with volunteers to find solutions to increase volunteer satisfaction and commitment and ensure effective working relationships between staff and volunteers.
5. Ensure volunteer satisfaction survey is disseminated and suggestions are implemented.
1. Ensure donation process is smooth, customer service focused and time sensitive and all patients and families have equal access to items from the toy closet; establish relationships with departments and clinics to ensure access to the toy closet.
2. Ensure each and every donor receives a thank you note in a timely manner; anticipate and respond to trends in donation/giving; track and report annual donation totals; develop and implement the policy on Dr . Bear ’s Closet; ensure the “wish list” is up to date and on the web.
3. Actively cultivate and foster relationships with community partners.
4. Oversee the management of Dr. Bear ’s Buddies materials, participation, recognition and outreach.
5. Oversee community group, (including sports teams or celebrities) visits to the hospital, including atrium events to ensure compliant with hospital policies.
6. Oversee all communication and coordination with community groups regarding patient visits, including atrium events.
Hospital Tour Programs
1. Responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of Visitors Interested in Pediatrics Tour Program and strategic planning of PreSurgical Tour Program.
2. Provide ongoing education and information updates to staff and volunteers of tour programs.
3. Ensure high quality experience for all visitors participating in hospital tour programs.
Human Resources Management
1. Hire, train, develop and direct assigned staff to meet departmental objectives.
2. Hold staff accountable to model attitudes and behavior that value differences in every interaction.
3. Provide timely coaching and performance feedback.
4. Consistently act as a role model and mentor to staff; develop and maintain effective working relationships between staff, volunteers.
5. Ensure performance evaluations, medical requirements and all other organizational circuit breakers for all staff are complete and on time.
6. Deploy staff appropriately to meet business objectives; promote cooperation and teamwork within V olunteer Department.
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: Patient Services
Regular / Temporary: R (Regular)
Position Status: FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:30pm
Job Posting: Sep 4, 2019, 3:28:26 PM