Community Connector, PJ Library
EJF / Jewish Education & Engagement/ PJ Library
18 HOURS PER WEEK
End date September 30, 2018; extension dependent on grant funding
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Director of PJ Library, each of the Community Connectors will build authentic relationships, create new, barrier-free Jewish experiences, expand communities, and impart relevant Jewish content to Jewish families with children ages newborn through 2 years old. The Community Connectors will develop and implement small-scale outreach and engagement programming, connecting families to one another and the Jewish community of Greater Los Angeles. This programming will begin at the very earliest stages of a child’s life in public, secular spaces, and will maximize social connections over time among these families.
The ideal candidates will be a friendly, passionate, committed influencer. The Connectors are individuals who have an excitement toward bringing people together, an interest in Jewish learning and growth, and have a craving for community and connection.
- Participate in weekly training/team-building meetings to learn and share best practices for outreach and engagement to interfaith, unconnected and under-connected families, as well as skill building to hold meaningful one-on-one conversations and facilitate connections
- Identify and meet informally with an average of three new parents weekly in target community to find out interests, share program information
- Build a network of families raising Jewish children who receive PJ Library books through authentic, peer-to-peer relationships
- Create, manage and maintain a database of participants/interactions
- Manage logistics, marketing, and development of intimate, small-scale engagement opportunities at family-friendly destinations, as well as home-based programming, around Greater Los Angeles, Programming may include, but is not limited to:
- Mommy/baby yoga for mothers on maternity leave, growing into Sunday brunch with families as parents return to work, and then lead to birthdays and holidays over 10+ years.
- age-based playgroups
- Challah tots in Whole Foods
- Drop-ins at Barnes & Noble Bookstores
- Drop-ins at local play spaces
- Parent & me programs
- Jewish Parenting classes
- Mom’s (or Dad’s) night out
- Promote and attend PJ Library in Los Angeles programs
- Contribute content to social media about PJ Library in Los Angeles and participate in online conversations with topics of interest to new parents
- Monitor social media sites to learn what is already being offered for new parents with young children locally and share with team on conference calls and/or at training sessions
- Visit several new parent offerings in your neighborhood, both within and outside of the Jewish community, and share with PJ Library team
- No regularly set schedule,
- Flexible work hours including nights and weekends.
- No assigned work site.
- Position requires traveling reasonable distances in personal vehicle to work locations on a day to day basis.
- Residing within geographic area of position preferred.
Be available to supervisor and Sr. VP Jewish Education & Engagement for additional duties and assignments, as required, including assisting with the Campaign.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR POSITION
- BA degree preferred. 2-3 years of relevant experience in outreach/community organizing.
- Consistent ability to reach out, schedule, organize and maintain notes on every experience
- Savvy social media networking skills and proficiency in mobile technology
- Strong proficiency in MS Office Suite: Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Experience working with donor database or related database systems.
- Energetic, amicable and flexible, self-motivated and highly organized.
- Excellent administrative, written and oral communication skills, and engaging interpersonal skills and telephone manner.
- Impeccable organization and follow-through, with ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to multi-task and trouble-shoot, able to work both independently and within a team
- Strong attention to detail is a priority.
- Knowledge of Judaism and the Los Angeles Jewish Community a plus.