Welcome to Western Connecticut Health Network, a comprehensive group of Hospitals, Medical Practices and Home Care designed to know our patients well. WCHN is comprised of Danbury, New Milford, and Norwalk Hospital as well as Western Connecticut Home Care, and Western Connecticut Medical Group. We are united by our mission to improve the health and well-being of those who live in the communities we proudly call home. We believe our dedicated and talented employees are the cornerstone of providing the best in patient care, and we are seeking qualified and compassionate individuals to enhance the delivery of care to the communities we serve.
The OB Surgical Technologist assists the professional nurse in performing direct and indirect patient care activities and works under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse/Circulating Nurse. Provides technical assistance in the services provided during the labor and delivery stages of the obstectrical process and performs surgical scrub duties for OB related cases. Facilitates turnover of operating rooms and delivery rooms. Requires critical thinking skill, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Capable to work in an ever-changing environment and respond appropriately to complex situations. May perform clerical/other duties as assigned.
1. Respects the patient's right to privacy, dignity and confidentiality. Maintains confidentiality when interacting with patients, families, personnel and the public.
2. Provides a safe efficient, and supportive environment for the obstetric patient.
3. Practices safety precautions throughout the perioperative phase of patient care.
4. Completes documents, reports and all mandatory education and training.
5. Functions efficiently and in a professional manner in all aspects of patient care, recognizing the importance of teamwork, consideration and cooperation.
6. Assists licensed personnel at vaginal and cesarean delivery as needed within the standards of the OB unit.
7. Ensure operating rooms and labor rooms are adequately and appropriately stocked.
8. Prepares the labor and delivery rooms by setting up beds and tables and ensures the area is prepared for additional patient care.
9. Collaborates with RN in maintaining a safe, organized, clean and comfortable environment for patients.
10. Assists in transporting patients.
11. Participates in providing in-services to other staff relative to the role of the OB Surgical Technician.
12. Completes a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education per year, and maintains certification. Completes preceptor training and demonstrates the ability to perform one-on-one instructions for all students and staff learning the scrub role.
13. Anticipates the needs of the physician/surgeon in order to expedite the procedure, thereby minimizing the patient's exposure to procedural and anesthetic stress.
14. Cares for patient/family according to the Western Connecticul Health Network standards and ensures the best patient/family experience.
15. Utilizes resources to deliver quality care in a safe, efficient and cost-effective manner.
16. Assists in ordering and stocking of supplies and ensures that levels are maintained at the appropriate amounts.
17. Develops and improves skills in the organization of work and in assisting the physician/surgeon to maximize economy of time, motion and materials.
18. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Surgical Technologist Certification (CST). Must be a graduate from an accredited surgical technologist program, and certified within 12 months of hire, or LPN license with prior surgical tech experience in an OB setting. BLS for Healthcare Provi
OB experience, or one year of job-related experience preferred.
Danbury-24 Hospital Ave
Exempt from Overtime:
- Basic Life Support
- Certified Surgical Technician
- HS Graduate or Equivalent
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Significant occupational risk
- Very Heavy effort. May exert up to 50 lbs. force
- Significant exposure to dirt, odors, nose, human waste, etc.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.