We are seeking a social services intern in our Baltimore office to help with our holistic work protecting women and girls seeking justice. This is a temporary, un-paid position which will run from late May through August 2019. Interns receive an opportunity to gain direct experience providing advocacy and case management. Those selected will undergo extensive training and will be provided with ongoing supervision and mentorship by the Social Service Program Manager.
- Support primary case manager in providing ongoing supportive communication, safety planning, advocacy, and accompaniment for a caseload of 6-10 clients.
- Conduct research (online, by phone, and using internal directories) to identify appropriate local resources for current clients, and update directories on an ongoing basis
- Based on client requests, connect them with free or low-cost services, for example counseling, emergency housing, civil legal assistance, medical care/insurance, public benefits, employment and other community services.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of all activities with clients in an organizational database
- Support Social Services special events, support groups, donation drives, and outreach efforts as they arise. .
- Advanced written and oral Spanish or French required
- Completion of some graduate coursework strongly preferred. Undergraduate degree in Social Work or related field required
- Previous experience working with a multi-lingual, multi-cultural population
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of creativity and perseverance in identifying solutions
- Basic understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence, violence against women, and immigration policies in the U.S.
- Available to commit to work at least 30 hours a week for 12 weeks
Please include a cover letter demonstrating your desire and interest in this internship, a resume, and a list of three professional references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.