The Sous Chef at Olympia Provisions Public House is responsible for culinary activities at the restaurant ensuring dishes are prepared correctly and service is executed in a clean, efficient manner. This position will oversee activity in the kitchen, train personnel, help plan menus, oversee product purchasing and help manage the culinary budget.
- Prepare and cook dishes according to recipe, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints
- Supervise BOH staff
- Establish and maintain a positive and constructive working relations with the FOH
- Coordinate with all staff to ensure that communication flow is sufficient to exceed expectations in terms of quality and service
- Standardize and maintain food inventory for daily service: ordering, turning, storing, and labeling
- Coordinate training activities for the kitchen, including the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies
- Participate in menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Make periodic and regular inspections of units to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance
- Prepare operational reports and analyses setting forth progress and adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations
- Communication: English and Spanish are spoken regularly
- Leadership: motivating a team, ensuring timeliness, and maintaining process controls
- Presentation skills: a vision for excellence
- Strategic thinking: improve flow and quality in operating procedures
- Business acumen: budgets, marketing, and providing stellar customer service
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department in conjunction with the General Manager of Olympia Provisions Public Houses
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors.
The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Three years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
- A solution-oriented and collaborative, positive attitude
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree with major concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition or related field
- Prior experience as a Sous Chef
- Prior experience training, purchasing and managing budgets
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year
- Cooking: 3 years (Required)
- Portland, OR 97214 (Preferred)