Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Hartford Hospital is one of the largest and most respected teaching hospitals New England. We are a Level 1 Trauma Center that provides cutting edge treatment to its patients. This is made possible by being home to the largest robotic surgery center in the Northeast and the Center for Education, Simulation and Innovation (CESI), one of the most-advanced medical simulation training centers in the world. When hospitals cannot provide the advanced care, expertise and new treatment options their patients require, they turn to us.
As full-time Director of Clinical Microbiology Department in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Hartford Healthcare, you would join our team of 20 MDs and 4 PhDs. In addition to Harford Hospital, the Department provides Clinical Microbiology services to 5 affiliated hospitals within the State of Connecticut.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to assist in direction of our active and dynamic Clinical Microbiology Laboratory which provides full-service and state-of-the-art infectious disease diagnostic testing for the Harford HealthCare system. The successful candidate is expected to expand the use of molecular testing (including next generation sequencing) and other emerging technologies in the diagnosis and management of infectious diseases. Additional responsibilities will include teaching of Pathology Residents and ID Fellows, participation in appropriate Departmental and Institutional committees and engagement in scholarly activities consistent with the mission of the Laboratory and Department. Abundant opportunities exist to develop and/or participate in applied and translational research programs within the Department and Institution. Future renovation of the Microbiology Laboratory will provide the candidate with an exceptional opportunity in planning, design and activation of the new facility.
1. Assume overall technical responsibility of the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory processes, including general analytical testing, test method development and validation, as well as research activities and product evaluation.
2. Maintain broad knowledge of relevant healthcare guidelines, scientific principles and trends. Provides leadership in complex problem solving.
3. Development, review, and implementation of policies, procedures, and guidelines for the methods used to provide timely and accurate processing of samples, analysis and reporting of test results to clients; as well as policies and procedures to maintain client satisfaction and confidentiality.
4. Oversight of technical standard operating procedures, including development, validation, and approval. Monitor and maintain standards of performance in quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA); ensures key performance indicators (KPI) are met.
5. Working with quality and laboratory managers, providing the required technical knowledge and management to ensure that methods, documentation and laboratory activities are compliant with regulations and requirements to retain certifications and accreditations. Will be the responsible person in the laboratory for coordination of communication with auditors.
6. Represent the laboratory as the prime internal and external customer contact on testing requests and proposals. May review and negotiate contracts as appropriate.
7. Field client calls, lead/participate in conferences and serve as technical expert.
8. Participate in teaching/educational activities for Medical Technologists, Pathology Residents and ID Fellows.
9. Provide training opportunities for laboratory personnel. Ensure that testing personnel maintain a high proficiency level in all analytical methods.
10. Direct major functions and objectives within the R&D activities of the laboratory. Provide coordination of interdepartmental research activities and collaborations.
11. Oversee product evaluation studies; review data, ensure accurate incorporation of results and conclusions into study reports. Responsible for meeting study timelines, quality standards and training/mentoring of analysts.
12. Make contributions to scientific literature and conferences by active involvement in relevant professional organizations and peer-reviewed publications.
13. Participate with senior management to provide strategic plans to improve efficiency of laboratory operations, especially with the incorporation of new technologies within a growing healthcare system base.
- Must possess an MD or a PhD in a scientifically-relevant discipline.
- 1-5 years experience at the Directorship level preferred.
- Board-eligible or -certified in Clinical Microbiology by the American Board of Medical Microbiology.
- Excellent English writing and communication skills are required.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.