Job Title: Manager of Business Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Information Communication Technology (ICT)
Division: Specialty Materials Business
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Reports To: Director of Business Development
General Position Summary
This position is responsible for new development activities of various products of Mitsui Chemicals Inc. (MCI) or of its subsidiaries working within a cross-functional organization to collect GAFAM’s future trends for MCI. MCI’s new ICT initiatives shall be accomplished by constructing and implementing a strategy to meet or exceed the Mid-Term Plan (MTP) and Budget following alignment with MCI Division’s overall strategy and policies, by ensuring customer satisfaction, successful sales, and marketing and promotion of products in order to achieve the Company’s objectives.
Essential Job Functions* Primary Job Functions:
Plans the MTP and Budget
- by preparing the MTP and Budget according to MCA strategy and policies;
- by consulting with the department head.;
- by clarifying the position's mission;
- by gathering information, and analyzing the internal and external business environment, including markets and customers;
- by reviewing the performance and achievements of previous terms;
- by identifying issues, and assigning tasks;
- by establishing strategy, measures, and targets;
- and by optimizing resources, including HR, materials, and finances.
Implements the MTP and Budget
- by implementing the MTP and achieving the objectives of the plan, holding accountability for the results, and explaining them to Senior Management and Staff;
- by maximizing profit for the MCI group as a whole;
- by making decisions in authorized areas;
- by receiving opinions, and proposals from subordinates;
- and by working as a team.
Manages the development of New Business
- by actively seeking out new sales and business opportunities, developing plans, and initiating actions to develop new business;
- by implementing new pricing structures and drawing up strategies for contract development by collecting information;
- by identifying and tracking market trends;
- by identifying customer and market needs;
- and by supporting the Director in collecting and analyzing competitive intelligence.
Manage Accounts and Provides Customer Support
- by acting as customers’ primary contact for support;
- by regularly visiting and communicating with customers;
- by building relationships with key decision makers within customers and partners to collect information and develop and strengthen positive business relationships with customers;
- by providing technical, quality, manufacturing, and engineering product support to customers
- by actively seeking out future technical trends at customers and within the industry as a whole
- by monitoring product sales performance and regularly providing Management with analysis and feedback;
Ensures Product Compliance
- by ensuring Staff activities adhere to the Company's compliance system;
- by performing product control;
- by reporting, documenting, and filing reports, as necessary;
- by studying existing and new EPA, FDA, DOT (Transportation), DOT (Treasury), OSHA, federal, state, and other health, safety, and compliance regulations, and practices;
- and by advising Senior Management as necessary.
Essential Job Requirements:*
Requirements and Working Environment
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate (i.e., working in a business office with computers, printers, and telephones).
The Staff Member must be able to travel approximately 30-40% on business or work beyond normal business hours as necessary. Frequent travel includes visiting CA academics, customers, and potentials domestically and abroad, including Japan.
Minimum Qualifications Needed
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and/or government regulations in English.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of Managers, Staff, clients, customers, and the general public in English.
\*\*\*Preferred Native level of Japanese Skill (Speaking/reading/writing)\*\*\*
Must be able to use a computer and such applications as Microsoft Windows, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
Experience and Education
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Engineering or Science, from a four-year College or University; and at least Five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Five to seven years experience in materials, composites, chemicals, plastics, the healthcare industry, or advanced technologies.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $115,000.00 per year