The role of the Surgical Assistant is to provide aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the Surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
In addition to intraoperative duties, the Surgical Assistant also performs preoperative and postoperative duties to better facilitate proper patient care.
The Surgical Assistant performs these functions during the operation under the direction and supervision of the Surgeon and in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations.
The Surgical Assistant is responsible to provide a positive patient experience for all patients.
Position Qualifications Required / Experience Required:
- Assists in positioning patient for surgical procedure while maintaining patient comfort and safety by padding points of pressure, assure circulation is not impaired, and precautions against nerve damage.
- Discuss the temperature of the patient with the anesthesia personnel and methods to be employed to maintain the desired temperature range.
- Provides adequate exposure and visualization of the surgical site by securing retractors, packing with sponges, digital manipulation of tissue and proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon’s view.
- Apply appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis. Participate in volume replacement or autotransfusion techniques as appropriate.
- Utilize appropriate techniques to assist with closure of the body planes as indicated by the surgeon.
- Maintains safe environment at the surgical field in accordance with hospital policy, laws and regulations.
- Complete all documentation and required forms immediately after the surgical case.
One year of Operating Room theater experience required.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent clinical judgment, and computer literacy.
Bachelor of Science Degree or Higher/MD required.
Current NJ license.