The Angeles Clinic & Research Institute has established an international reputation for developing new cancer therapies, providing the best in experimental and traditional treatments, and expertly guiding and training the next generation of clinicians. We are committed to bringing innovative therapeutic options to all of our patients with cancer. Our board-certified fellowship-trained medical oncologists, surgeons, immunotherapists, pathologists, and dermatologists work closely together to advance cancer care.
The Senior Manager, Operations is responsible for the planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the daily operations of assigned areas. This position works closely with leadership and physician management in the development of a centralized infrastructure and operations for a specific specialty or regional programs or departments. The Senior Operations Manager plays an important role in coordinating the strategic planning, program and policy development for multiple sites to ensure successful implementation and monitoring.
Responsibilities include fiscal oversight, budget management, development and oversight of efficient processes, implementation of programs that include the coordination of multiple sites/locations and departments, setting goals and strategies, acting as a mentor, coach and problem solver, encouraging strong customer service values, and developing effective communication with management personnel from various departments. This position assures patient advocacy and will provide key leadership in change management and the establishment of new programs and practices.
This position reports to the Director, Clinical Operations. A successful leader in this position must be well-organized, open-minded, decisive, and flexible and demonstrate an ability to communicate well with others, work as a team, and lead others by example and direction. Strong writing skills and extensive computer experience and knowledge of the medical, insurance and basic health-care industries are necessary. Key will be an ability to promote the consistent enactment of the values of Cedars-Sinai Health System and the Medical Delivery Network and ensure a steady focus on the needs of patients, physicians and staff.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees classified in this job. Other/additional duties may be assigned.
- Management and coordination of administrative and clinical services for one or more physician office sites;
- Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring of projects and initiatives relating to operations, and ensuring they are consistent with strategic mission;
- Ensures compliance with state and federal laws, professional and regulatory agency standards and licensure requirements. Maintains staff compliance with health system and Foundation policies, procedures and protocols;
- Understands and supports the business requirements and fiscal structure of the Foundation, including patient assignment, risk and specialty network structures, and utilization management. Functions as key resource for staff and physicians in support of these requirements;
- Assumes fiscal responsibility for areas of oversight, including budget preparation, expense control and revenue enhancement. In collaboration with Director, develops business and operations plans for assigned areas, programs and services;
- In collaboration with operational and medical leadership, establishes effective patient care processes and workflows. Develops and supports policies and procedures that support the provision of quality and timely patient care services. Ensures appropriate physician, locum, physician extender, technician and staff coverage for immediate areas of responsibility. Participates in the evaluation and review of all human resources and communicates issues appropriately.
- Maintains appropriate quality control programs and partners proactively with risk, quality, safety and clinical operations leadership to ensure continuous monitoring and improvement in provision of clinical services.
- Functions as key resource for staff and physicians in utilization of key information systems and technologies. Assumes responsibility as practice liaison for the resolution of system related issues, identification of opportunities for improvement and implementation of key systems and system and workflow enhancements.
- Supervises employees in immediate areas of oversight, including administrative, clinical, technician and health information staff. In conjunction with executive and medical leadership, provides direct administrative supervision of physician extenders. Assesses qualifications and hires candidates, assumes responsibility for the assessment and improvement of competencies, work assignments and schedules, orienting, coaching, training, in-services, performance evaluation, compensation, mentoring, discipline and terminating employment. Partners with appropriate departments in the necessary execution of these duties (e.g. clinical services, risk, quality, human resources).
- Functions as a role model and demonstrates leadership to promote collaborative teamwork, cross-training and flexing of staff across operational areas, open communication and problem solving to ensure effective coordination and integration of services between operational areas and programs. Demonstrates consistent ability to promote, enhance and support the organizational culture;
- Effectively manages staff and materials in direct areas of oversight, including the development of effective short and long-term staffing plans, cross-training of staff where appropriate and effective and oversight and management of productivity. Makes recommendations for effective staff and space utilization. Ensures areas of direct responsibility are responsibly and effectively structured and supported to ensure physician productivity and to provide a strong foundation for staff and patient satisfaction.
- Takes appropriate steps to ensure appropriate daily staffing of all areas of responsibility, including volunteering of services when qualified in situations of inappropriately lean staffing. Ensures own knowledge of staff processes to facilitate all necessary human resources efforts. Participates in selecting outside sources for needed services and provides review and oversight for those services.
- Ensures proper documentation and communication of program activities
- Maintains strong partnership and collaborative communication across the Foundation and with associated service departments of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Delivery Network. Serves as liaison for areas of operational responsibility with facilities management, patient billing, utilization management, quality, risk, human resources and payroll.
The Leader Standard Work of a Senior Operations Manager requires the commitment to the important responsibilities of a leader which includes:
- Fully understand and consistently execute on leader standard work;
- Involvement in office workflow to fully understand each job function in the office;
- Bring “leader as teacher” to life, teaching and coaching staff on workflows;
- Establish clear expectations as to adherence to office guidelines;
- Take the time to know the status of each staff member’s skill level and opportunities for training;
- Adopt a proactive, collaborative approach to identifying opportunities for enhancement before formalizing the instructions and suggestions for enhancement;
- Take the time to communicate with the physicians and staff to make sure they are updated on new projects, programs and completion of projects/tasks.
- Functions as a positive, creative and effective leader, actively participating in performance improvement, problem-solving and development of new concepts that enhance the function of area operations.
- Participates in the design and supports the operational implementation of organizational restructuring, new workflows, processes, programs and technologies within a department and in conjunction with multiple departments or specialties.
- Plans and implements programs in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization.
- Participates in strategic planning and program development.
- Proactively manages change, including the transitions of new physicians and programs; develop specific transition plans to ensure successful implementation.
- Identifies and develops process improvement plans for new and existing programs/processes.
- Develops a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement; ensures best practices are in place, developing improvement plans to achieve best practice when necessary.
- Demonstrates behavior that supports the mission, vision and values of the Cedars-Sinai Health System. Demonstrates ability to effectively and consistently communicate vision and values throughout all levels of areas of responsibility and organization.
- Communicates and models high standards of professional, responsible, accountable and ethical behavior.
- Promotes an organizational focus by establishing goals consistent with organizational goals, facilitating collaboration and coordination for cross-departmental problem solving and supporting new concepts that enhance the functioning of operations.
- Demonstrates daily leadership, in particular an ability to navigate change, identify opportunities for improvement and function as a role model. Actively participates in initiatives to enhance the performance and stature of the organization. Demonstrates an ability to identify and effectively communicate benefits of organizational initiatives.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively lead through the development of strong physician, staff and colleague relationships. Assumes responsibility for understanding and representing the needs of constituency and for negotiating effective partnership between organization needs and needs of constituents in areas of responsibility.
- Serves as a role model for areas of responsibility and for the organization, demonstrating the organizational values of teamwork, participatory leadership and proactive problem-solving and communication. Provides a consistent and meaningful focus on customer service and functions as an effective mentor for staff and physicians in the provision of excellent customer service. Functions as an advocate for all patients and their needs.
- Promotes and maintains a positive work environment with an open, communicative and collaborative approach that supports staff development, ensures employees’ ability to contribute and supports organizational values of fairness and consistency.
- Supports the ongoing development of teamwork by personally demonstrating those values and sharing resources, information and ideas. Contributes to the effective functioning of the organization by willingly taking on new assignments as requested and by volunteering for additional assignments as the need arises.
- Makes effective decisions that reflect clear and logical thinking;
- Demonstrates flexibility in examining and implementing new approaches in response to changing organizational objectives.
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in a demanding and busy work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, five or more years medical office experience, preferably in a multi-specialty medical group setting, previous medical office management and/or supervisory experience, or equivalent education and experience. Billing experience advantageous.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem-solving and analytic skills.
- Demonstrated team-building and consensus-seeking skills.
- Proven ability to lead and manage people, including selecting, developing, motivating and retaining.
- Fiscal management skills and proven ability to prepare, monitor and control budgetary expenses, generate increased productivity and revenues and demonstrate strong analytical proficiency in the analysis of productivity and profitability.
- Demonstrated ability to provide input for strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility.
- Ability to promote effective collaboration and teamwork across organizational units.
- Ability to coordinate multiple and diverse points of view to facilitate a successful and positive outcome.
- Ability to work well with diverse teams and coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Experience providing leadership to operations teams in an ambulatory setting.
- Knowledge of regulatory, reimbursement, legal and policy issues as they relate to operational management.
- Proven track record with customer service, training, and ability to motivate others to effect positive change.
- Strong computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office, Epic/CS-Link or other computerized practice management and EMR systems.
- Physical ability and perceptive acuity to satisfactorily perform all direct and indirect operational functions.
- Strong knowledge and experience in understanding operational impact on finances, costs and efficiency.
- Ability to develop, generate and manage reporting on all aspects of the business.