Camp FA Day is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join our team for the Summer of 2021 as Residential Summer Camp Counselors! Apply today!
The Counselor will supervise and effectively lead a group of campers in daily camp activities. They will have a positive outlook on resident camp and willing to help children grow to their potentials. Counselors will provide a safe and nurturing environment for campers and will be actively involved and have a positive attitude about all camp formalities and activities.
1. Supervise all aspects of the camper’s day including waking up, cabin/unit clean up, meals, siesta, evening activities, getting ready for bed, overnights, and after hours duty as assigned.
2. Follow all camp rules, regulations and policies and enforce them among peers.
3. Help out with all camp activities and participate as a member of the camp staff team.
4. Participate in traditional camp programs, color war, plaque races and other events as assigned.
5. Teach and assist in activity periods as assigned.
6. Plan cabin activities with Jr. Counselor and campers as appropriate.
7. Plan and lead a reflection for campers each night.
8. Actively participate in staff training, meetings, etc.
9. Provide opportunities for the cabin group so that each individual experiences success.
10. Maintain positive public relations with parents, visitors, and the general public at all times.
11. Respond to and provide opportunities for discussion of individual or group problems and concerns.
12. Assist each camper with meeting personal goals and those established by the camp for camper development.
13. Follow established procedures for supervising camper health and enforcing all safety regulations.
14. Instruct campers in emergency procedures including fire, severe weather, lost camper and lost swimmer.
15. If qualified, serve as a lifeguard or lookout at the waterfront as assigned.
16. Routine cleaning responsibilities related to the camp’s health and safety protocols
17. Follow established health and safety standards of the YMCA, ACA and Dept. of Public Health.
18. Demonstrate and teach the values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility to all campers and staff.
19. Able to visually and audibly identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to assigned activities.
20. Capable to respond appropriately to emergencies and situations requiring first aid and/or CPR.
21. Submit all required paperwork on time.
22. Willingness to go above and beyond your written job description.
1. Prior camp staff experience for at least one year
2. At least 18 years old or having at least graduated high school
3. Ability and experience in supervising children
4. Desire and ability to live and work in a camp setting
5. Good role model, high integrity, and adaptable
6. Ability to understand and follow directions
7. Positive attitude and ability to build a cohesive team
8. Current First Aid and Adult and Child CPR certifications
1. Hear noises and work in fast paced environment that requires patience, focus and diligence.
2. Meet strength and lifting requirements of 25lbs.
3. See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
The West Suburban YMCA is a charitable organization that welcomes all by creating a community that hires individuals of any age, race, gender, religion, heritage, economic circumstance, or physical ability. We focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to ensure all children, adults and families are healthy, confident and connected.
- After completing the application process, you will have the opportunity to complete your Talent Profile by joining our Talent Community!