Under direct supervision, performs general secretarial support duties in the Public Works Division.
Examples of Duties
- Performs secretarial and general office duties for the Public Works Division in accordance with established procedures or standing instructions. Secretarial and general office duties include: typing; serving as receptionist as needed; operating various office equipment to include computers, binders, copiers, multi-line telephone, and ten-key; screening telephone calls and writing messages; reading, proofing, and writing reports as required; and arranging, indexing, filing, and retrieving letters, memos, and reports.
- Performs administrative duties to include assisting the staff by preparing correspondence and writing correspondence for supervisor's signature; plans and schedules work independently in the absence of specific instructions or supervision.
- Maintains an inventory of office supplies for Public Works staff.
- Maintains employee time and payroll time sheet information for the division.
- Types general correspondence, memorandums, requisitions, departmental reports, confidential projects, designs forms, and various other data.
- Assists the public with questions requiring knowledge of policies and procedures and other Public Works activities.
- Prepares credit card, invoices, and purchase orders.
- Adheres to personnel, safety, and department policies and procedures.
- Informs supervisor of all work activities and seeks supervisory intervention when needed.
- Assists co-workers as needed.
- Provides assistance to other departments as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required.
- Notary Public is preferred.
- Must have a valid Texas driver's license and driving record must be in compliance with Town policy.
- Must have one year or more of general office work experience or completed office vocational training school.
Must submit to and pass a post-offer, non-regulated drug test and thorough background checks (including criminal history.)
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Must have a general knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Must have excellent English communicative skills to include spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Bilingual communicative skills are preferred but not required.
- Must be skilled in the operation of mainframe terminal and personal computer operations (Microsoft Office).
- Must have good typing skills and excellent data entry skills with speed and accuracy.
- Must type 40 net words per minute.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and stress, handle multiple tasks, prioritize and organize work assignments, and maintain a pleasant and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to work extensive hours including evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be able to type, see, read, talk, hear, write, and understand and carry out oral and written directives.
- Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, reach and climb.
- May be required to move various boxed documents weighing up to 52 pounds with the use of a dolly for assistance.