Ammunition specialists are specialized Soldiers who are responsible for the management of ordnance (ammunition and explosives). They are tasked with receiving, storing and issuing conventional ammunition, guided missiles, large rockets, explosives, and other ammunition and explosive related items.
- Perform maintenance modification, destruction, and demilitarization on ammunition and explosive components
- Operate computer hardware and software/utilities manual records in order to perform stock control and accounting procedures
- Perform ammunition supply stock control and accounting duties using both automated and manual procedures
- Inspect weapon systems to determine need for repair or destruction
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
GENERAL ARMY QUALIFICATIONS
To become an enlisted Soldier in the U.S. Army, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- 17-34 years old
- Achieve a minimum score on the ASVAB test
- Meet medical, moral and physical requirements
- A high school graduate or equivalent
Job training for an Ammunition specialist requires 10 weeks of Army Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Ammunition identification and ammunition-related publications
- Ammunition/maintenance operations
- Explosives demolition operations
- Operation of automated and manual ammunition management systems
- Interest in algebra, chemistry, physics, geometry, and trigonometry
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Interest in planning and organizing
- Work calmly under stress
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Skilled Technical (ST): 91
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
EARN CASH FOR IN DEMAND JOBS
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with government agencies and private industries performing ordnance research and development. You might also consider a future as a bomb-disposal expert, gunsmith or munitions manufacturer.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
Company's Facebook page:
- Instagram: @ssgortizjorge