2019 Garden to Table Intern
The Open Door
Part-time Garden To Table Intern
10 - 20 hours per week, $12/hr.
Work hours: Flexible scheduling, in coordination with supervisor. Typically afternoons and early evenings. Occasional nights and weekends required. These dates are set up in advance.
Supervisor: Garden to Table Manager
The Open Door’s Mission: A fresh approach to ending local hunger through access to healthy food.
Background: The Open Door is a hunger relief agency that serves Dakota County, MN. Garden to Table is a sustainable approach to eliminating local hunger by empowering communities to learn and grow together. Over 200 garden plots are available at 7+ sites across Dakota County for low-income families, and participation includes plants, seeds, tools, and training needed to grow healthy foods.
Garden to Table also organizes businesses, schools, churches, and other organizations to plant gardens and urban farms on their property and donate the produce to The Open Door’s food shelves.
Garden To Table Intern Responsibilities:
Support Garden Operations
- Coordinate weekly work days and tasks at each garden including tracking fruit trees and harvest, compost pile, plot and path maintenance
- Follow up with home gardeners by in-person, phone, and email
- Communicate needs to gardeners by emails and phone calls occasionally mail about upkeep up the garden plots and take appropriate steps to ensure family/volunteer commitment
- Make phone calls to get unrecorded harvest weights and event reminders
Support community and educational events
- Procure and organize materials needed for each event: food preservation workshops/gardening classes/volunteer groups
- Recruit needed volunteers with Volunteer Manager
Be an ambassador for The Open Door in the local gardening community
- Represent The Open Door’s mission and organizational values at all events and engagement activities as needed
- Engage Giving Gardens through seasonal garden classes and in person/email/phone check-ins.
- Supervise large volunteer groups (6-50 volunteers) on a weekly basis during the
- Vegetable gardening experience
- Experience effectively working with people from multiple cultures, races, and ethnicities.
- Computer skills to include email, Microsoft and data spreadsheets;
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings/weekends
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of the team, and exercise good judgment and confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong ability to communicate across cultures
- The ability to work outdoors in all weather, including cold, hot, windy, rainy, as needed.
- The ability to lift 40 pounds
Candidates are required to:
- Possess a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Travel with personal vehicle (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Pass successful background check
- Pass successful review of references.
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish or Russian
- Horticulture or agriculture education a plus
- Volunteer and Event management
- Light Carpentry skills
- Fruit tree experience
Apply by March 1:
Send cover letter and resume to:
Alpa Goswami, Garden to Table Manager
The Open Door
3910 Rahn Rd.
Eagan, MN 55122
alpag @ theopendoorpantry. org
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Internship
Salary: $12.00 /hour
- gardening: 2 years (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Russian (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Required)
- Evening (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)