The Goodman Group is now hiring an Employment Attorney to join our corporate team. Key qualities that the Employment Attorney will have is an innate ability to build and maintain relationships with all levels of staff, and someone who is passionate about advising and training key stakeholders on employment law. The Attorney is a vital role within our company; who guides and provides the best support to our HR, Legal and Leadership teams. The Employment Attorney reports to the General Counsel of The Goodman Group.
The Goodman Group is a Top Workplace and is known for its talent in provided top level service to our residents and to our employees. We are a service and growth oriented company, who enjoys doing business with like-individuals.
We offer a competitive salary, a growing career path and a full benefits package.
Employment Attorney - Job Description
To create and manage living environments that emphasize quality of life and enable residents and staff to achieve an optimum level of wellbeing.
The Employment Attorney is responsible for assisting the General Counsel and Human Resources department in the management and handling of all labor and employment related matters in the Company.
Essential Job Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Provides in-house legal counsel on employment and labor related matters including: human resources issues, wage and hour law, performance management, workers’ compensation, OSHA/safety matters, unemployment and other state agency claims, labor relations, employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, protected leave matters, workplace investigations, employment related litigation, grievances and arbitrations and generally assist the General Counsel and Human Resources Department.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies for clients in multiple states.
- Advises appropriate decision makers and stakeholders on employment law matters, including, hiring, terminations, discrimination, wage & hour issues, disability accommodation, state and federal compliance and investigations.
- Prepare responses to charges of discrimination filed with various local, state and federal agencies and support resolution of such claims and charges.
- Monitors, identifies and assesses legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and advises accordingly.
- Support the Foreign Nurse Sponsorship Program and participate in the legal and human resources orientation.
- Create and deliver management and employee training programs.
- Independently handles legal matters and projects.
- Recognizes when to elevate certain matters to the attention of the General Counsel.
- Supervises, manages, and evaluates outside counsel on labor and employment related matters including litigation.
- Update clients and stakeholders on new employment laws and regulations and recommend and assist in development of new or revised policies and procedures.
- Support the legal department’s overall goal of increasing organizational efficiency and achievement of business objectives in a manner that minimizes legal risk.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal and human resource department team members and other colleagues.
- Provide subject matter expertise on internal committees and projects.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- 15 to 20% travel required (may be less or more contingent on business needs).
Must possess the ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions, and accept constructive criticism. Must be able to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public. Must be able to speak, write and understand English in a manner that is sufficient for effective communication with supervisors, employees, residents, and families.
Education and Experience
- JD degree from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- Minimum of 8 or more years of substantive employment law experience with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm.
- Prefer candidate with significant experience in advising and counseling clients on employment law matters.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $140,000.00 to $170,000.00 /year