The Office of University Controller (OUC) manages the university’s system of record – the Financial System –
and its interfaces with purchasing, accounts payable, travel expense, human capital management, financial reporting and other subsystems. The office works closely with the campus controllers, the state controller and the state auditor’s office to ensure that fiscal practices comply with external/internal rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles; prepares the university's tax filings; manages payroll/benefit accounting functions; and oversees the certification of effort reporting on sponsored research. The office communicates fiscal policies and procedures to the university community through blogs, website and training programs, and provides one-on-one assistance through the Finance and Procurement Help Desk. The OUC also administers a continuing professional education program and the CU Innovation and Efficiency Awards employee recognition program.
Our Motion Designer uses state-of-the-art digital design techniques and tools to enhance communication, outreach, and training related to University of Colorado (CU) fiscal systems and processes.
This position reports to the Web & Digital Design Manager in the Finance & Procurement Business Services (FPBS) unit of the Office of University Controller. As a whole, the FPBS unit supports CU employees who have fiscal roles and responsibilities through a wide range of activities, including: website design, communications (blogs, newsletters, face-to-face town halls, etc.), online/in-person training, technical/procedural documentation, policy development, and help desk assistance. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified System.
What you will need:
We’re looking for an amazing motion designer/graphic designer to join our team.
To thrive in this position, you must be a hands-on professional with experience in motion graphics, audio and visual production/editing, and graphic design. You must be a creative and self-motivating problem-solver who is able to diagnose issues and willing to figure out their solutions. You must be adept at managing multiple competing projects/priorities. You must perform well as a collaborative member in a tightly knit team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Create content for animated and live action videos in training, communication, and marketing materials, using motion graphics, illustration, video, photography, and sound (via Adobe After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, etc., as well as through Adobe Captivate or similar screen-capture software).
- Design and develop engaging media packages for websites, tutorials, webinars, in-person presentations, and other productions for use by CU System and campus employees and other higher education constituents.
- Manage complete development cycle from concept through storyboarding to finished work.
- Promote customer engagement in communication and training projects through the use of Adobe Creative Cloud digital design and screen-capture software.
- Design, redesign, and edit slide decks and handouts for use in live presentations and in live and recorded webinars.
- Identify best practice design tips for designers and non-designers and create material to support instructors who present training in these areas.
- Assist in researching, testing, and selecting audiovisual tools and technologies for innovative and effective communications and training.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
Who we are:
- Knowledge of design fundamentals and understanding of aesthetics, including color, layout, and typography.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, along with excellent listening and comprehension skills.
- Advanced organization and teamwork skills with ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and accept changing priorities – all while maintaining personal effectiveness and strong customer service.
- Ability to work independently in a highly dynamic, flexible, and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work closely with a small team of writers, developers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to provide, receive, and incorporate constructive criticism.
- Experience in developing a range of digital design products, including motion graphics and other animations.
- Ability to create and edit effective presentations (develop slides for live presentations and webinars, edit text and visual content, etc.).
- Skilled in problem-diagnosis and problem-solving.
- Ability to keep up-to-date with advances in the digital design field, with the drive to pick up new techniques and apply them to the CU environment.
- Sound creative judgment and an ability to clearly articulate design approaches
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
The salary has been established at $70,000.
The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Day: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in digital design/multimedia, graphic design, or related field
- Three (3) years’ professional experience creating audiovisual content for training or marketing
- Three (3) years’ experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis on After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Two (2) years’ experience working in Premiere, Audition, and MS Office
- One (1) year experience working in Boords or other storyboarding tool
- Current demo reel and portfolio (to be included in application along with cover letter, resume, and professional references)
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field
- Experience with developing content while adhering to 508 web accessibility standards
- Professional experience in the State of Colorado or other higher education system
Special Instructions to Applicants: For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 5, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions: You must attach a cover letter, resume, references, and a URL link to your demo reel/portfolio to your application as four separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the “Job Specific Attachments” box next to each document on the “Required Documents” page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.