This individual will serve as a member of the Career and Professional Development STEM College Career Network team and report to the Associate Director of that team. Members of this Career Network team work together to serve undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Engineering and the College of Science. Additionally, team members work with employers to understand the breadth and depth of experiential and post-graduation opportunities available for students interested in pursuing careers within the scope of the network. The Assistant Director’s primary liaison role will be with the Virginia Tech Graduate School.
- Serve as the Career and Professional Development liaison to the Graduate School; hold weekly drop-in hours in the Graduate Life Center and create career development related programming specifically for graduate students of any discipline.
- Provide one-on-one advising (in person, through email, via telephone, Skype, etc.) to undergraduate and graduate students on topics such as selecting an academic major; choosing a career direction; developing a job search plan; interviewing (including conducting mock interviews); gaining career-related experience (internships/co-op); writing effective resumes, cover letters, and personal statements; researching companies and graduate schools; evaluating and negotiating offers.
- Additional program and liaison responsibilities include serving as the liaison to Virginia Tech Cultural and Community Centers, and managing the office Mock Interview program.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Counseling, or related field.
- Academic advising, career counseling, or related experience.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, and team skills.
- Proven ability to develop strong external relationships.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience in career services or related field.
- Experience advising graduate students.
- Experience with students and/or professionals in fields related to engineering or science.
- Knowledge of and experience applying career development theories.
- Experience working with individuals preparing for the job search process; resumes CVs, cover letters, personal statements, interviewing skills, etc.
Must have a criminal background check Must have a conviction check: Yes Describe Other: Employment Comments: How to Apply for this Job:
Applicants must complete the online faculty application at www.jobs.vt.edu (Posting AP0180098) and submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references as attachments to that application. For full consideration, candidates are encouraged to apply by the review date of April 30, 2018.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equity and Access.
Administrative and Professional Faculty Appointment Type: Regular If restricted or temporary, enter end date: FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: $44,000 - $49,000 Location: Blacksburg Department: Career & Professional Development Location, if not Blacksburg: Location Zip Code: 24061 Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F Job Posting Date: 04/03/2018 Review Begin Date: 04/30/2018 Job Close Date: Restricted to university employees only? No Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.