Hurricane Harvey, the first major hurricane to hit the United States in over a decade, made landfall in Texas on Friday, August 25, 2017. Heavy rain and strong winds caused significant damage and flooding along the Texas coast, including Rockport, Refugio and Corpus Christi. Although Harvey – a category 4 at its height – was downgraded to a tropical storm over the weekend, the storm stalled over southeastern Texas, causing torrential rainfall and unprecedented flooding, particularly in Houston, Beaumont, Port Arthur and surrounding areas.
Americares priorities for the response period include 1) meeting urgent medical needs of people affected by the storm; 2) addressing mental health and psychosocial needs of survivors 3) and building resilience within the health system, particularly focused on health facilities serving vulnerable populations.
Americares is seeking an Administrative Assistant to play a leading role in organizing and coordinating office activities and providing a broad range of administrative support for the office’s response operations. The Administrative Assistant supports the office staff through a variety of task to accomplish the overall goals. The Assistant will report to the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with coordinating/scheduling internal and external meetings, conferences, special events, and documenting internal meeting minutes.
- Maintain, track, and order office supplies and equipment; monitor and submit invoices. Coordinate office repairs and equipment.
- Distribute incoming mail and assist with any outgoing mail and shipments to support the response operation. Organize internal team documents in the appropriate folders on the shared drive.
- Assist with internal and external communications, including developing program summaries and updates on a regular basis.
- Refine, and where needed, develop processes to improve operational workflow.
- Coordinate team logistics and assist with headquarters/visitor travel arrangements as needed.
- Work with the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Director to ensure that staff are tracking and reporting expenses in a timely and accurate manner.
- In coordination with the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Director and Human Resources team at headquarters, manage the local hiring process, outgoing process, and office closures to support the response operations.
- Follow up on departmental issues related to human resource and/or administrative support needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Director
At least three years’ experience as an administrative assistant or other administrative position.
Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Strong verbal and written organization skills.
Strong organizational skills, comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced, changing work environment;
Experience living or working in Harvey-impacted areas of Texas an asset.
Able to operate independently, prioritize tasks, and work as part of a team.