This National Guard position is for a Surface Maintenance Mechanic , Position Description Number D1194000 and is part of the Combined Support Maintenance Shop located in Draper, with the Utah Army National Guard. This vacancy is open statewide. The selecting supervisor for this vacancy is CW3 Brandon Karren.
JOB DUTIES NOT ALL INCLUSIVE.
- Troubleshoot, perform maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles.
- Troubleshoot, repair and overhaul major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls. Make repairs to assemblies and components such as voltage regulators, generators/alternators, brake cylinders, etc.
- Perform work in accordance with modification work orders, technical manuals, lubrication orders, maintenance bulletins, regulations or management policies.
- Troubleshoot equipment and diagnose the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools.
- Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
- Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps.\
- Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
- May maintain and repair electronics communication equipment by removing and replacing components and elements.
- Assists in the maintenance of production reports and records.
Job family (Series)
5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Conditions of Employment
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Compatible Military Assignments:
ENL: CMF 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94.
For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Medical screening will be completed upon selection for hire.
Soldiers who accept a technician position will be terminated from the Bonus and Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP).
Indefinite positions may be converted to permanent status without further competition.
National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Your resume must have complete information:
Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position. Do not copy the job description or your military MOS/AFSC/job duty description as your job duties. If you do this on your resume you will be rendered disqualified for the vacancy.
Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
WG-10 requires 18 months of experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experienced in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles,equipment and systems.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Electrical, Technical Problem Solving, and Vehicle Maintenance
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.