The Biostatistics Center (BSC) of the Milken Institute School of Public Health is an off-campus research facility of The George Washington University located in Rockville, Maryland. The Biostatistics Center serves as the coordinating center for large scale multi-center clinical trials and epidemiologic studies funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other Federal agencies. The Biostatistics Center is a leader in the statistical coordination of major medical research programs of national and international scope, frequently leading to major medical advances. Visit our website at: www.bsc.gwu.edu.
A Research Assistant works independently as well as with the research team that serves as the Coordinating Center for large multi-center studies in type 2 diabetes; The Glycemia Reduction Approaches In Diabetes: A Comparative Effectiveness Study (GRADE). This position carries out the day-to-day communications with clinical sites in an effort to ensure that clinical centers are adhering to study procedures; provides study support, maintains study documents, performs data quality checks, and conducts training for study staff. Research Assistants also act as liaisons with subcommittees and working groups and interact with programmers to develop study reports. This position will report to the Lead Biostatistician Manager.
Research Assistant performs the following tasks:
- Performs database management, data editing and auditing for the common measures; reviews, in detail, SAS logs and reconciliation tables.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of research study protocol, manual of procedures, data forms, and other study documents, to ensure compliance with research study protocol and overall study objectives.
- Interacts with members of the research study group as well as the local coordinating center team.
- Writes the manual of definitions and procedures for the common measures (i.e.,variables that are collected in each of the center specific protocols) and creates data forms of these measures if required.
- Serves as study webmaster and primary contact for website design, content management, and technical support.
- Participates in BSC committees pertaining to data management system and website development. Works with programmers and developers to maintain and test new features of the web based data management system.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a BA/BS in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication and technical skills
- Proactive critical thinking with strong communication skills.
Typical Hiring Range $16.21 - $22.47 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. POSITION INFORMATION
Family Research and Labs
Sub-Family Field Research
Stream Service and Support
Level Level 2
Hours Per Week:
Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work.
Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status
Internal Applicants Only? No
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.