What you'll do at Walmart Labs
In the Store Retail Services group you will work as part of a team to design, build, and field some of the world's highest-volume retail systems. We are creating a new generation of store systems that enable our associates to work smarter AND provide excellent service for our customers. We are integrating applications that blur the lines between online, mobile, and in-store experiences – all so our customers can spend less and live better!
Our teams are agile and cloud-native. We contribute to open source software, and to our community! We learn from each other every day. We have a startup culture and are looking to grow our team with software engineers who take pride in their craft and are ready to grow in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
As a Software Engineer (Back End)
- Participate in the design, implementation, and testing of distributed systems in an agile environment
- Complete research activities for new features and enhancements
- Contribute to design and code reviews
- Help to monitor and improve production systems
- Engage in our engineering culture to consistently deliver value to our customers and business
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field and 6 months experience in information technology or related field within the past 5 years OR 2 years experience in information technology or related field within the past 5 years
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 2 years experience programming in Java.
- 1 year experience developing web services or message-oriented, event-driven systems
- 1 year experience with database management systems
- Experience in a Unix/Linux environment
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, energy, perseverance and the desire to solve big problems
- Strong fundamental knowledge in software development theory and practice
- Solid foundation in computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile software development team structure
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.