The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute VTTI) is involved in cutting edge transportation research and development. Our software engineers create applications that are relied upon by researchers studying the latest in connected and autonomous vehicle technologies. We’re looking for engineers experienced in web and mobile applications to bring fresh ideas and an enthusiasm for taking on new problems as we continue to push these technologies forward.
Duties and responsibilities:
Directions given and received:
- Help create reliable, compelling, efficient, and performant applications that can be relied upon in mission-critical research programs.
- Work on existing and new user interface functionality and server-side REST APIs.
- Work closely with system administrators in a development environment to keep these applications running smoothly.
- Works to build unique electronic designs pertaining to, but not limited to, automated vehicle systems and real time synchronized collection of digital video and sensor data.
- Manage resources and keep projects in conformity with agreed upon expectations.
- Maintain overall efficiency and consistency of work effort.
- Work with researchers to develop technology deployment strategies
- Independently performs most assignments with instructions on global objectives and general results expected.
- Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and work is reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
- Supervises/mentors/provides training and coordinates the work of graduate research assistants, staff technicians, faculty engineers, and others who assist in specific assignments. Must have a strong work ethic and be able to work independently with little supervision.
- M.S. degree in Electrical, Computer or related Engineering field. In lieu of masters degree an exception for a lesser degree with significant related experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated web or mobile application development.
- Prior experience with relational database systems
- Proficient in advanced electronic design debugging techniques
- Experience with firmware development
- Experience with Kotlin or Java and Android application development.
- Experience with Docker, cloud architectures, and production deployment of code.
- Understanding of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other advanced data analytics concepts.
- Understanding of connected and automated vehicle standards and operational concepts.
- A commitment to reliable software delivery using tools such as git, unit testing, and Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
Other (Describe Below) Must have a conviction check: Yes Describe Other: Employment Comments:
Virginia Tech is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas for this vacancy.
How to Apply for this Job:
Interested applicants should complete an online application at http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/87145
Research Faculty Appointment Type: Restricted If restricted or temporary, enter end date: Reviewed Annually FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Band Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience Department: Virginia Tech Transportation Instit Location: Out of State Location, if not Blacksburg: Fort Collins, CO or Blacksburg, VA Location Zip Code: 80526 Job Posting Date: 06/02/2018 Review Begin Date: 06/19/2018 Job Close Date(if applicable): Restricted to university employees only? Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Accessibility at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.