The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 28, 2018
The Haas School of Business develops path bending leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, Development and Alumni Relations.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.htmlThe Part-Time MBA Admissions Office is responsible for the marketing and admissions process for the Evening & Weekend MBA and Berkeley MBA for Executive Programs at the Haas School of Business. Both of these programs serve professionals who want to earn their MBA while continuing to work.
The Events and Marketing Coordinator is a critical member of the Evening & Weekend MBA (EWMBA) and Berkeley MBA for Executives (EMBA) admissions teams. S/he manages all admissions events, is a key contributor to email marketing communications, provides data analysis around event and marketing strategies, and plays a key support role for part-time MBA admissions operations. The role is fast-paced and deadline oriented, and requires high attention to detail.
The Events and Marketing Coordinator interacts with prospective and admitted students through event planning and execution, maintaining strong relationships with outside vendors, and one-on-one advising and email/phone correspondence. He or she is a key representative of Haas and our Part-Time MBA programs and has a critical impact on our external reputation. As a member of the admissions team, he or she contributes to the efficient and high-quality functioning of the team.
• Manage and implement all recruitment/yield events designed to attract prospective students and retain admitted students to enroll in EWMBA and EMBA programs
• Liaise w/ Haas facilities, hotels, restaurants, corporate hosts to coordinate all logistics of frequent recruitment and yield events, including: room reservations, selecting and ordering food and beverage, supplying event materials, negotiating contracts, and ensuring timely payment to vendors
• Implements event budget and updates directors throughout the year on event spending
• Annual review of event spending, locations, and scheduling with directors of EW/EM programs and contributes to long range event planning
• Create staffing schedule for all on-campus events and provides all logistics to staff for off-campus events.
• Oversee work for work study students in event planning including name badges, campus signage, panelist supplies, brochures, other items as needed
• Attend all registration tables/act as greeter for all on-campus events
• Update admissions team on event registration/attendance numbers during staff meetings
• Ensures smooth-running effective events, including successfully recognizing and resolving potential and real problems in a timely manner using tact, sensitivity, discretion, and political acumen
• In coordination with Haas team, implement email communication plan in Hubspot/Slate
• Takes initiative to work with IT and marketing team in development/maintenance of communication strategy and CRM systems
• Monitor email marketing efforts and recommend additional email pushes when necessary
• Implement aspects of all CRM systems to enhance recruiting/yield
• 1st level advising on all MBA programs/admissions procedures
• Respond to telephone, e-mail and web inquiries regarding the EWMBA and EMBA programs and admissions requirements in a timely and professional manner
• Manage gifts inventory and ordering for EW/EM programs
• Create and use database queries to prepare event and communications reports, info, analysis when requested
• Event survey oversight and analysis of overall effectiveness of recruitment efforts
• Recommend additional marketing/email strategy based on event registration/attendance
• Develop and maintain data management guidelines to assess needs of department to increase recruitment
• Electronic posting and maintenance of all admission events online
• In coordination with Operations team and IT, assist with maintenance of PTMBA databases
• Manage EW class visit program communication in coordination with Program Office and ops team
• Maintain knowledge of EWMBA and EMBA Admissions’ business processes in order to provide backup to other support staff in department as needed
• Work on special programs as assigned
• Enhance personal expertise in job areas by engaging in classes/workshops, serve on departmental and campus-wide committees, as appropriate
• Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service
• High comfort level with technology, demonstrating strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel) and other database systems
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a high performance environment, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Experience in event planning
• Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with school departments, vendors, hotels, and other, professional organizations
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Outstanding interpersonal skills
• High level of professionalism
• Excellent judgment
• Self-motivated and takes initiative
• Able to work independently as well as be an integral member of a team
• Marketing experience
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Outstanding attention to detail
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of work experience required
• Familiarity with Slate and Hubspot systems
• Previous experience in a professional business or higher education environment
• Working knowledge of UC Berkeley, and the ability to interpret policies and procedures to prospective applicants and the public
• Working knowledge of academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs at UC Berkeley
• Working knowledge of admissions requirements for campus/school/college.
• Knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population
Salary & Benefits
Salary up to $30.77 per hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: