Cell Biology Scientist
The cell biology scientist to carry out plant reproductive biology research.
The successful applicant will be a self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills who enjoys working in a dynamic, collaborative team environment. She or he will also have a strong scientific background in Biology, developmental and reproductive Biology, in particular cell culture and doubled haploid, preferably in a crop plant, and will be flexible enough to be able to work on different assignments as needed.
Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to design and carry out innovative experiments and to be creative and inventive. In this role, they will be asked to independently and effectively plan and execute experiments, interpret, report and present results, maintain accurate experimental records according to company policies with outstanding attention to detail, and share results with team members and other scientists in a timely fashion. They will also be expected to contribute new ideas, propose new projects, and manage laboratory activities of others if necessary. They will be expected to make discoveries and inventions, file patents and publish manuscripts.
The work is expected to be 80% at the lab bench, 5% on the computer, 5% in meetings and 10% in the greenhouse. Some weekend work may be needed.
- Work independently and under limited supervision to provide support and leadership in plant reproductive biology research projects.
- Propose, design, and carry out experiments.
- Ensure that all assignments are carried out effectively and accurately.
- Propose and invent new approaches to existing research activities.
- Critical success factors & key challenges
- This work will require competence in multiple techniques, including donor plant quality, light and/or Confocal microscopy, molecular biology, biochemistry, plant cell, tissue culture and transformation.
- The work requires dedication and flexibility.
- Interest and experience in all of these areas will be required. Additionally, knowledge, experience, and interest in plant physiology, cell biology, developmental and reproductive biology, and biotechnology (including GM and gene editing) would be particularly beneficial.
- Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- PhD in Biology, Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Biotechnology or related field; or MS with 5 years relevant experience. (Required)
- Knowledge of modern biology laboratory techniques in plant cell, tissue culture and transformation; and available computational/analytical tools in molecular biology, genetics, development, and biotechnology required.
- Knowledge of modern laboratory techniques in physiology and biochemistry preferred.
- Knowledge of modern agricultural challenges and historical solutions preferred.
Laboratory work experience including:
- Experience independently planning and executing research in plant cell, tissue culture and transformation.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability in the context of plant biotechnology research.
- Analytical and communication skills in interpreting and presenting study results.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively as a member of a dynamic technical team.
- Flexibility in handling new job assignments and achieve results in a rapidly changing work environment.
- High level of personal integrity, which means faithfully executes of experiments and documents mistakes or variations in the procedure that may impact results, appropriate documents results, observes safety procedures.
- Demonstrated capacity to think quickly and independently, and to be creative and inventive.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Align objectives to the business priorities.
- Learn agility, judgment, planning, execution and results orientation.
- Provides support for individuals and teams to achieve excellence.
- Senses and adapts to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery