Welcome to Western Connecticut Health Network, a comprehensive group of Hospitals, Medical Practices and Home Care designed to know our patients well. WCHN is comprised of Danbury, New Milford, and Norwalk Hospital as well as Western Connecticut Home Care, and Western Connecticut Medical Group. We are united by our mission to improve the health and well-being of those who live in the communities we proudly call home. We believe our dedicated and talented employees are the cornerstone of providing the best in patient care, and we are seeking qualified and compassionate individuals to enhance the delivery of care to the communities we serve.
Assumes responsibility for calibration, repair and documentation of the routine use and maintenance of all hospital biomedical equipment upon request in order to ensure the efficiency of patient care required.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND STANDARDS
- Maintains knowledge of electrical requirements, its routine employment and conscientious record keeping in order to perform all maintenance, repair and inspections of biomedical equipment, as required.
- Troubleshoots and repairs biomedical equipment on a daily basis, to manufacturer's specifications, keeps abreast of manufacturer's design modification and upgrades as per research and development.
- Schedules and implements all preventive maintenance inspections as required by hospital regulations, JCAHO, New York State and other regulatory agencies, on an annual and semi-annual basis.
- Performs inspections and pre-testing of new equipment according to manufacturer's specifications and provides clinical support to all hospital departments utilizing manufacturer's technical support sources 24 hours a day.
- Maintains current knowledge of medical device hazards, New York State incident, and FDA protocols in order to appropriately advise other MTS clients on their procedures and policies.
- Performs annual inspections at client sites of electrical beds and outlets to determine proper working condition.
- Documents repairs, preventative maintenance schedule and calibrations according to department procedure in an accurate, neat and timely manner and obtains all required approvals.
- Schedules and prioritizes customers' needs including back-up equipment, orders and expedites overnight parts, technical support, or whatever steps that have to be taken to satisfy the situation and/or complaint.
- Collaborates on an ongoing basis with other VBH departments and MTS clients to ensure that MTS contributes to the institutions' clinical environment in a positive and productive manner.
- Oversees the daily activities of MTS employees at off-site locations, reporting, on an as-needed basis, status to the Director of MTS.
- Evaluates level of VBH staff's knowledge of the operation of clinical equipment and reports to Director of MTS any discrepancies and/or problems.
- Observes and evaluates Biomedical Tech Assistant I's or other assigned Technician's performance of the operation of clinical equipment and reports progress/problems to Director of MTS.
- Ensures performance at all times of the assigned Technician on all necessary repairs to clinical equipment which are necessary to maintain proper working operations.
- Establishes work schedules and prioritizes assignments as required to ensure efficient utilization of MTS resources.
- Trains, maintains standards, coordinates and reviews work of all employees that are directly appointed to the BMFSC, providing advice and assistance as needed.
- Assumes responsibility for maintenance and repair of at least one (1) type of specialized equipment.
- Ensures that new specialized equipment is thoroughly inspected and in proper working condition prior to clinical use.
- Initiates preventive maintenance inspections through accurate entering of required data to computer programs for vaporizer calibration-verification, line insulation and monitor testing.
- Develops organized reports for trace gas analysis as required by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Ensures all respiratory and anesthesia (critical life support equipment) is, and will continue to be, inspected and in proper working order as required by all regulatory agencies. Reports any problems to Director of MTS as necessary.
- Modifies an existing instrument to satisfy the special requirements of a clinical situation to ensure the efficiency of patient care required.
- Performs modification as required and is adequately aware and informed of the hazards associated with working in a clinical environment and adheres to safety guidelines to ensure patient and employee safety.
- Ensures that any modification does not adversely affect the originally intended manufacturer's performance standards of the equipment.
- Advises instrumentation user on system application and redesign to solve unique operational requirements or deficiencies prior to use.
- Promotes a safe and efficient working environment by adhering to hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Adheres to Infection Control and Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures at all times.
- Maintains appearance of work area(s) according to department standards at all times.
- Adheres to all safety regulations reporting any variances to supervisor immediately.
- Attends and actively participates in all in-services as required.
- Reports immediately all incidents, irregularities, unsafe conditions, equipment and/or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Guest Relations: Demonstrates regard for the dignity and respect of all patients, family members, visitors and hospital personnel as defined in the philosophy of Vassar Brothers Hospital.
- Displays a caring and courteous attitude and represents the hospital in a positive manner to all persons noted above.
- Promotes and contributes positively to relationships with service customers.
- Maintains the confidentiality of employees and departmental information with no infractions.
- Adheres to departmental and hospital dress codes as observed by supervisor, and wears a VBH picture identification badge, 100% of the time.
- Participates in activities to promote teamwork within the department and with other departments for optimal patient care and positive departmental relations.
- Accepts assignments from supervisor/department head willingly and works effectively as a member of department team.
- Performs other duties as necessary as directed by supervisor to work effectively as a department team member and to cover other duties as necessary during absence, vacation or vacancy of other employees.
Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Science preferred or Associates Degree.
Five to seven years of clinical experience in the Biomedical field.
Bio-Medical knowledge, great communication skills and customer service
Eligible for AAMI Certification - Certification in one of the following areas:
Anesthesia Equipment Diagnostic Laboratory Equipment
Diagnostic Ultrasound Computer Technology
Radiographic Imaging Equipment Nuclear Medicine Equipment
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL FACTORS
Requires light physical effort on a regular basis, as in frequent standing, walking, bending, stooping or reaching and/or occasional lifting of light items (i.e. up to 20 lbs.). Periodic eye or ear strain included in this level (less than 50% of the time).
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Regular and routine exposure to a variety of unpleasant physical working conditions and frequent exposure to injury or occupational or contagious disease hazards which require routine precautions.
Project Management Office
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.